Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3905 image downloading fail

Evgeny Andreev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

on new ip phone 3905 recieve a error "image downloading fail". Try reset to factory default. Didn't help. Any ideas?

Best regards.

46 Replies 46

I read the posts of those who have the phone not being recognized on the voice vlan, which is what i was having. I tried installing opentftp and putting the vmlinuz in a folder and the phone was successfully contacting the tftp but it seems there was a configuration error and the tftp kept displaying that vmlinuz file not found. I was preparing for the worst, i.e. to send the ip phone back to the supplier, but when it arrived here, i tried one more time, and this time with an already configured tftp server. I could see that the phone was contacting the tftp server and failing to download the image and then it would switch to 192.168.1.100 to download. so I configured a new vlan for this subnet and added the mentioned ip to the option 150, being in precedence. and what do you know, it took the file and then upgraded and received an ip and appeared on the right vlan. I thought it would be helpful to leave feedback for the future of those who are going to get stuck with this. If you search well enough, you will find the vmliuz file by yourself!

shanejward
Level 1
Level 1

I ran across this issue just now.  If you can't get the vmlinuz file from TAC you can make it yourself if you can get the cmterm zip file for your version, extract it and drill down until you get the APP3905xxxxxx.zz file.  Rename (or make a duplicate and rename) this .zz file to "vmlinuz" (no quotes and no file extension) and place this into the TFTP directory detailed in the other suggested fixes.