cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7962 not booting after Hard Reset 3491672850*#

MichaelB3200
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, forgive me I'm a bit new here to the Cisco world. I have a Cisco IP Phone 7962 that shows a blank screen, downloads "term62.default.loads" file twice from my TFTP server, and nothing else. I have tried 3491672850*# and 123456789*0# with little success. My objective is to attempt to get the SIP firmware running with no issues.

I am running a bit at a loss right now. I do have other Cisco 7962 phones running with no issues at all. I am currently using FreePBX as my SIP Server and my Windows Server 2022 as my TFTP as it also runs my PXE.

Attached are my TFTP Logs, as well as the files within the TFTP root folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Michael

11 Replies 11

if you enter this code >> 3491672850*#
it will wipe out all data on phone, and show nothing on screen (you think its dead, but its still alive and only his network port is working and waiting for receive firmware..)

then you must power up your phone with direct power adaptor (not POE)
then set option 66 on your DHCP-TFTP server..(instead of option 150)..

-- if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful) --

My DHCP is providing both the option 66, and option 150. Should option 66 be something specific or just the IP of the TFTP?

You may have run into the batch of phones that require a two-stage firmware upgrade. What happened is that the certificate that Cisco placed in the non-writable factory partition of phones changed. This certificate that is used to verify the signature of firmware to be downloaded. So older phones - and many of the 79XX series fall into this category - have the old certificate in the factory partition. But newer firmware is signed by the new certificate. This means that older phones can't verify the new firmware and won't download it. The change happened in the vicinity of the 8.3(3) firmware

The fix is to upgrade the phones to one of the firmware versions that is signed by the old certificate, but includes the new certificate in the files downloaded to the phone. Once this firmware is on the phone it can use that certificate to verify the signature of modern firmware and will download it.

If this is the case, you will need to set up a router with CME for the purposes of upgrading the firmware on the phones to one of the interim versions. (And you'll have to lay your hands on that firmware.) Once that is complete, you can point the phone to your CUCM servers (or CUCME TFTP) and they should upgrade again.

Here is information on setting up a router with CME for firmware upgrades. Keep in mind that whatever router you use must have the voice licensing installed, but no additional license for CME is required for this temporary purpose:

Upgrade IP Phone Firmware with CCME 

Maren

I unfortunately do not have a Cisco router as you suggest. I have managed to verify the boot ID firmware as: tnp64.8-3-1-21a.bin. Model: CP-7962G

@MichaelB3200 wrote:
3491672850*#

This key combination is a full on "flash reset".  The phone has to be powered using an injector or a power brick.  PoE will not work. 

This flash reset takes about 25 to 45 minutes.  

A PoE injector, correct?

A PoE injector or a power brick

Unfortunately using a PoE Injector yields the same results. It appears to be stuck in a loop downloading term62.default.loads file every 2-3 minutes. I tried to do 123456789*0# with no success and still with a blank screen.

first, find a firmware between 8.3.3 and 8.5.2, and install on your phone, then go for firmware version 9.x....
if this not works, install a firmware before 8.3.3 (for example: 8.2.2) then install something between 8.3.3 and 8.5.2, then go for version 9.x...

-- if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful) --

That's the hard part. Finding older firmware. It's not on the Cisco website, not that I've found. Any of the files I've found don't have the term62 file.

@MichaelB3200 - I sent you a PM -- Maren