cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8831 3PCC - no admin web interface???

Lbredefe
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to login to my 8831 after a hard factory reset, using http, I just get a list of information with NO option to log in and tweak settings so I can make this device work with sip provider.

i type in http://<ipaddress>/admin/

and I get one like if text saying page does not exist on server 

i have tried tons of things but if there is no admin login... I have no idea how I will be able to configure it. 

41 Replies 41

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What FW are you running?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I attached an image, it appears to be java because I see the logo when it boots and the number is sip8831.10-3-1sr3-5

i am not an expert, just a medium size business manager trying to set up many of these and 8811’s for a remote covid office situation, with onsip as provider. 

That page is NOT from a 3PCC device, that's from a device running enterprise FW. Pretty sure that if you look at the PN from the device it will not have a MPP/3PCC anywhere, for example

CP-7811-K9=
CP-7811-3PCC-K9=

The only 3PCC FW I see for those devices is back from 2017, doesn't seem like there's anything recent.

Doesn't seem like that device is elegible to migrate to 3PCC

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284738433/type/282074288/release/9.3(4)SR3%203rd%20Party

So, you would need to configure it just as any other non-3PCC device, manually formatting all the configuration files for a 3rd party PBX. Plenty of threads you can reference for that, but it will not be as simple as using a GUI like the 3PCC devices.

If you have 8811 running enterprise FW, you can switch to 3PCC, see details at upgrade.cisco.com and be aware that there might be an associated fee.

HTH

java

So my part number has the 3PCC picture attached.

am I inferring correctly that someone converted this to enterprise from 3PCC then based on your comment regarding the screenshot of the firmware?

if that is the case, is it physically possible to manually configure a 3PCC phone that has been converted to enterprise for sip if it has 3pcc in the part number or does it absolutely have to be converted back to its original 3pcc spec by Cisco tool?

Before the procedure to migrate between 3PCC and enterprise was available (early 2019), there was a ONE WAY upgrade path. From 3PCC to enterprise, and that's most likely what someone did to that device. Only older devices, circa 2016-2017 which is the last FW from that device, allowed that.

That device has no way to go back to 3PCC, only devices listed in the link I provided can switch between 3PCC and enterprise.

HTH

java

Okay so I would need to manually edit the config files for this to make it connect to sip... I have some Questions

1) Do I start with a set of files, manipulate, load on the Sip server /tfp, and then the phone will pull and self-configure?

2) if I can’t access admin on the web interface, how do I point them phone to the right sip server to read config files? Can it be done with keypad interface? 

Search the community for threads on that, there are a lot of threads on configuring Cisco devices with 3rd party PBX, you'll find all the info in those. I do not assist with that kind of configuration, you can open a new thread explaining the device has enterprise FW and you want to register it with 3rd party PBX, but you want to look at older threads on the topic to have an idea of what this will entail.

Only basic networking info can be configured via the keypad (IP, subnet, TFTP, DHCP, domain, etc.) nothing related to phone registration/configuration to the PBX.

Enterprise devices only have that webpage with basic info and logs, not meant for anything related to configuration.

HTH

java

Jamie,

thank you very much for your time and given this is my first experience with this forum, your speedy and informative replies have been a very warm welcome. I am searching around the boards now for more information about this and seeing some info regarding other models. I will continue to research and also am going to open a new thread. I don't want to be disrespectful to cisco, if i could be an enterprise client, believe me i would, but i only have 5 devices to set up at this time and i dont think cisco has the time for customers that small nor do i think CUCM is applicable in that small of a setup, esp since this would be mostly non-commercial use. I am aware there are a lot of other options out there but i have always been partial to cisco equipment as it continues to dominate the corporate landscape and from an end-user perspective i have used it throughout the years.

once again, thank you for your time and considerations. 

You won't find a thread pointing to the "exact" phone model.  
All of those thread have the same approach and you'll need the following: 

• A working SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file; 
  • A working dial plan file; 
  • The complete SIP firmware for the phone; 
  • TFTP server; and 
  • DHCP option 150

Leo thank you. I am a noob, trying to learn and I am not wanting to waste anyone's time so I am absorbing this stuff like a sponge to succeed in this effort.

looks like I have #1 and #3 at the moment, the file you linked to, and the sip firmware. I say this because the firmware version has "sip" in the number as shown above in the thread. 

#2 --what is a dial plan file? how do I get/make/copy one?

#4 --the TFTP server belongs to onsip correct? I do not have trunking as I do not have a pox in my home, relying on them for the service. 

#5 --DHCP option 150, is this a server side setting that I change at the SIP provider portal?

my biggest question, for files the phone is supposed to load, do we point the phone to the TFTP server and let is suck them down? is that how this works? how do we point the phone to the right server If it has no admin option in the HTTP? as I said this was a 3PCC that was converted to enterprise at one point and I learned that upon going to the phone's web server as Jamie noted it in the appearance of the GUI.

Open a Notepad and call the file "dialplan.xml" and paste the following: 

<DIALTEMPLATE>
 <TEMPLATE MATCH="*" TIMEOUT="5"/>
 <TEMPLATE MATCH="*#" TIMEOUT="0"/>
</DIALTEMPLATE>
  • The first line means "dial any number combination (including any LENGTH), wait 5 seconds before dialing out". 
  • Second line means "dial any number (including any length), when the # is entered, dial IMMEDIATELY".  

Put all the files (SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml, dialplan.xml & phone firmware files) into the TFTP folder.  Configure DHCP option 150 to point to the TFTP server.  Factory-reset the phone and watch carefully what the phone is doing.  

If things go wrong, the first thing we will ask is the "status" and they can be found here: 

• Settings > Administrator Settings > Status Status Messages.

We want EVERYTHING from there.  We will sort out which line(s) are irrelevant and which ones are important.  We'll tackle the issue(s) one line at a time.  

Leo thanks sir,

im stetting up a tftp on my Windows machine on the network today and since I don’t have a standard windows server machine Assigning DHCP but just a regular home router and switch, I’ve ordered a Cisco rv320 in order to do the DHCP option 150. 

let me know if this is a bad idea ... 

thanks again for your time. 

@Lbredefe wrote:

, I’ve ordered a Cisco rv320 in order to do the DHCP option 150. 

That's a bad idea. 

Use TFTPd32/TFTPd64 as a TFTP server as well as a DHCP server.  

Okay I’m happy to go that direction, question though,do I need to run this on a windows server environment That has its own switch or can I run it on a windows machine that happens to be hard wired into the same switch as the phones ?

thanks 

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@Lbredefe wrote:

, I’ve ordered a Cisco rv320 in order to do the DHCP option 150. 

That's a bad idea. 

Use TFTPd32/TFTPd64 as a TFTP server as well as a DHCP server.