Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8832 MPP Wifi?

websteth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Recently purchased a Cisco 8832 MPP (CP-8832-3PCC-K9) to add to my Webex Calling plan. I can get the device connected just fine to ethernet but I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to wi-fi. This device is sold as a wi-fi eligible device. I followed the instructions at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8832/english/userguide/cs88_b_conference-8832-user-guide/cs88_b_conference-8832-user-guide_chapter_00.html

Which are:

Step 1

If the phone is plugged into the Ethernet, unplug the Ethernet cable.

Step 2

Press Settings.

Step 3

Navigate to Admin settings > Network setup > Wi-Fi client setup.

Step 4

Navigate to Wireless and press On.

Step 5

Press Apply to save the changes, or press Revert to cancel the changes.

Step 6

Navigate to Network name.

Step 7

When the phone finishes scanning the SSID, choose a network to join.

Step 8

Enter your Wi-Fi credentials and press Connect.

No matter what I do, I cannot get to the Wi-Fi Client Setup menu. When looking around the Cisco site, I found the following refernce:

Cisco 8832 Conference Phones running multiplatform firmware doesn’t support Wifi. Use these phones with a physical ethernet connection.

So am I understanding that while it is sold as a Wi-Fi eligible device on webex.shop, it is not able to use Wi-Fi when connecting to the service that sells it as a Wi-Fi device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The document you're following is for enterprise FW, not MPP. I did find that note you mention in the 8832 MPP user guide and on a webex help center doc for that model.

It seems that whoever put together the webex shop information was given the wrong information, or was not technical savvy to notice that copying from the data sheet of the enterprise FW device was wrong. Because it calls out compatibility with CUCM, and that's for devices with enterprise FW, not MPP. MPP devices are not supported/compatible with CUCM.

Based on the documentation, wifi is not enabled/compatible on the MPP flavor, only in Enterprise FW.

I would reach out to the help from the shop webex and tell them that you bought the device based on what they have on the site, which turned out to be wrong information, provide the links that mention wifi doesn't work on MPP and see what they can do for you, asking for the information on their site to be corrected by someone technical savvy to avoid further issues.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The document you're following is for enterprise FW, not MPP. I did find that note you mention in the 8832 MPP user guide and on a webex help center doc for that model.

It seems that whoever put together the webex shop information was given the wrong information, or was not technical savvy to notice that copying from the data sheet of the enterprise FW device was wrong. Because it calls out compatibility with CUCM, and that's for devices with enterprise FW, not MPP. MPP devices are not supported/compatible with CUCM.

Based on the documentation, wifi is not enabled/compatible on the MPP flavor, only in Enterprise FW.

I would reach out to the help from the shop webex and tell them that you bought the device based on what they have on the site, which turned out to be wrong information, provide the links that mention wifi doesn't work on MPP and see what they can do for you, asking for the information on their site to be corrected by someone technical savvy to avoid further issues.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad I wasn't going crazy reading the docs. I was thinking the same thing when I started reviewing the docs. I had reached out to CIsco TAC and they actually were the ones that sent me the doc to enterprise FW. At least I can use it on ethernet with the poe or a power injector if needed. It is just a bummer that wi-fi isn't enabled as that would be far more ideal for deployment. I'll have to reach out to webex.shop to have them update the description. The Wi-Fi chipset is still there though. When you disconnect the ethernet cable it will advise that Wi-Fi is disconnected but you have no way to set it up.