Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8861 IP Phone Volume Too Low

InquiringTech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We noticed that on one of our phones in particular, the 8861 (which is connected to the network wirelessly due to lack of available ethernet ports at that desk), the volume sounds rather faint, especially with external calls, even if the volume is all the way up. Swapped out handsets and still get similar performance, and same with headset. I don't see any other options or settings on the phone itself that pertain to audio volume, nor do I see anything on the entry for the phone in the CUCM for audio settings. I read that some phones have a input-gain and output-attenuation setting you can modify, but I think that's just for the SPA models and not this one right?

Is it likely just a hardware issue with the phone itself (bought it surprisingly cheap as a refurb), or something else? With internal calls it seems to do better. I will say since it's the only phone we have that's connected wirelessly, it's not going through the normal Voice VLAN we have (which has QoS set for that) but rather the main wireless data network. Could this be impacting it?

I actually also recently found that most of our other phones (hard wired) also tend to have somewhat lower volume issues and users always report having to turn them all the way up to use. But I guess people weren't using them much so I wasn't aware of it until recently.

I'm not well-versed in the VoIP side of things aside from some basic setup and administration, so much of this is new to me.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

InquiringTech
Level 1
Level 1

No suggestions at all?