Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Extention Mobility work

Sergey 1907
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!
As I understood how it works. One device profile is created for each phone model without an DN and assigned to the user in the Extention Mobility Controlled Profile. Let's assume a profile for 7841 and a similar one for 8851. All profiles are without DN. The user with DN 1001 activates Extention Mobility on 7841, enters the ID and PIN, selects the 7841 profile and after some time receives a phone with DN 1001.
But this does not work like that, I must to specify the DN (1001) of the user in the 7841 device profile and also I must to specify it in the 8851 device profile. Two device profiles for two types of phones, what if there are 10 phone types and 2000 users? Perhaps I missed something and did something wrong, where am I wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kaloyan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sergey,

Adding a DN and associating each EM device profile with the DN of the user is mandatory and it is part of the configuration steps https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1SU4/cucm_b_feature-configuration-guide-cisco1251su4/cucm_b_feature-configuration-guide-for-cisco1251su3_chapter_011110.html#CUCM_TK_CE408589_00.

A device profile needs to exist for each phone type (model) that the user can potentially use. This ensures that the correct settings are applied per device. When logging in, the user is prompted to select the EM profile to be used for the phone.

So yes, if you have 10 device types and 2000 users, you need to create 10x2000 device profiles. Some phones from the same series can potentially share the same device profile (e.g. 78XX) without too many issues (if any), but it is not the correct way to do it. The 88XX series are very diverse and their firmware differс substantially from one model to another, so it is not recommended to have the same profile for them. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Kaloyan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sergey,

Adding a DN and associating each EM device profile with the DN of the user is mandatory and it is part of the configuration steps https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_5_1SU4/cucm_b_feature-configuration-guide-cisco1251su4/cucm_b_feature-configuration-guide-for-cisco1251su3_chapter_011110.html#CUCM_TK_CE408589_00.

A device profile needs to exist for each phone type (model) that the user can potentially use. This ensures that the correct settings are applied per device. When logging in, the user is prompted to select the EM profile to be used for the phone.

So yes, if you have 10 device types and 2000 users, you need to create 10x2000 device profiles. Some phones from the same series can potentially share the same device profile (e.g. 78XX) without too many issues (if any), but it is not the correct way to do it. The 88XX series are very diverse and their firmware differс substantially from one model to another, so it is not recommended to have the same profile for them.