Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Licensing confusion

mohsin majeed
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

- which license 7811 phone uses Basic or Enhance in CUCM and CME.

- I want to convert DLU to UCL licenses. Do i must need to migrate the IPT telephony system from MCS to UCS platform using migration procedure Or, i can use these converted licenses while manually adding the phones/users to the new UCS virtual platform?

Regards,

17 Replies 17

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mohsin,

Once you move to CUCM 9 you will have to move to ELM, then you will have to change your licenses irrespective of UCS or MCS. with ELM licences is not just bind to phone model there can be more to it.

for better understanding for ELM check below

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/9869241/understanding-enterprise-license-manager

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116130-config-cucm-elm-11.jpg

You will have to also run LCU see below for details

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/uct/CUCM_BK_UCT_Admin_Guide/CUCM_BK_UCT_Admin_Guide_chapter_010.html

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Hi Jitender,

Thanks for your reply,

- i got the answer of my first question is attached. I was looking specifically for the license for 7811, it was not mentioned in version 10 licensing guide.

- Secondly, i am aware about LCU. In simple terms my second question is, i will convert DLUs to UCL licenses (Basic, enhance or enhance plus) from cisco as per my requirements. I don't want to migrate the solution itself, only i will configure the new ordered solution from scratch manually. Here,

- can i use these converted licenses or i must need to order fresh licenses?

-Or i must require to follow the migration process to utilized these converted licenses?

Regards,

Hi Mohsin,

for 7811 see below 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7800-series/data-sheet-c78-729488.html

Licensing

The Cisco IP Phone 7811 and 7821 require a Basic User Connect License (UCL) in order to connect to
Cisco Unified Communications Manager. The Cisco IP Phone 7841 and 7861 require an Enhanced User Connect License (UCL) in order to connect to Cisco Unified Communications Manager

You can use LCU and you can migrate your licences, you only need to by new if the new setup exceed the requirement.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Hi Jitender,

Just last confirmation from the discussion.

Using LCU we will migrate the licenses, fine, no problem.

We can configure our full new system manually from scratch and will install these migrated licenses, right???

No need to go for full migration process if i don't want to go through the process using prime collaboration etc in order to utilize these licenses, right???

Regards,

Hi Mohsin,

what is your current CUCM version.

JB

CUCM 6.1 and Cisco Unity 5.X

So, anytime you are upgrading your CUCM above 9.x you will end up with ELM\PLM for your licensing. It is important that you run your LCU utility and migrate your licences and then send the report to licencing.cisco.com.

Not sure if i am understanding your question.

JB

Hi Mohsin,

If you are upgrading from a 8.x / 8.6x or prior version, you must order the Licenses (along with the media if you may need) via PUT Order http://upgrad.cloudapps.cisco.com/upgrad/jsp/index.jsp (CCO Login Required)

The LCU will help you make sure that your Lic counts are preserved since 8.x onwards DLU has been discontinued 

Once all the PUT migration order has been completed you will receive the PAK for the newer version and using that PAK you can get the License files.

HTH

Hi Mohsin,

were all your question answered because i dint completely understood the last one.

JB

Hi Jitender,

Thanks for reconfirm

- i understood that i will use LCU to get existing license migrated. So leave this part

- My only concern is that do i must really need to migrate my IPT system using version migration process in order to utilize migrated licenses,

Or

I also can configure my full IPT system manually and upload the migrated licenses.

Note: My only concern is, i only want to avoid migration process using prime collaboration, i just want to configure New IPT system manually. Still can i use migrated licenses on manually configured new IPT solution.

Thanks for your support

Hi Mohsin,

When you say IPT migration process you mean running LCU Utility, if yes, you can escape that. But i would recommend sending an email to licensing.cisco.com and make sure they have the correct DLU count as reflected by your CUCM, because if have seen that can vary.

JB

Hi Jitender,

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

Hi Mohsin,

Happy to help.

JB

Hi Jitender,

I have one more query about CME and its licensing.

- I ordered CME as attached.

- I ordered cisco 7821 Qty (12) and 7861 (Qty 1)

- I also ordered SW-CCME-UL Basic (Qty 12) and SW-CCME-UL-ENH (Qty 1)

- The router reached to me and i figured out the that ios which i ordered(S29UK9-15503M) contains cme version 9.1 and version 9.1 don't support cisco 7821 and 7861 cisco phones.

- Now, i have to upgrade ios version to get at least cme 10.X to support these phones.

- I got the licenses in shape of Paper as attached as example of one ip phone, do i need to install these licenses or these are already installed in to router?

- Secondly, if i upgrade to the newer version, do the phone licenses will be effected?  if yes, what to done next ?

- Third, which is the higher version of IOS in CCW items that support higher CME version.

- Appreciate if you can provide a list of CCW IOS items with descriptions of ios version and cme version.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: