Views
Helpful
Replies

Conceptual question on SIP traffic, MPLS and redundancy

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, can you please give me your thoughts on this:

- Imagine a certain company has four sites in the US, each site connected to MPLS provider via 2xT1.  CE Router is a Cisco 2821 SBC, running eBGP to provider PE. Main application running on MPLS is SIP trunking.

- In case circuit fails, company wants to put together a backup circuit in place using an Internet provider (different provider than MPLS for diversity reasons). Proposal for the backup circuit is to use a Cisco 881 router and connect to a provider "Secure Gateway" solution which lets the encrypted traffic between Cisco 881 and Service Provider Secure Gateway (encrypted with AES) safely reach the MPLS network.

Question and concern:

From a routing perspective, in case the main router/circuit fails and it fails over to the secondary router, if I am able to route accordingly to MPLS network, does it mean that SIP trunking traffic will work OK?

I am aware that QoS (thus VoIP traffic) is not supported over the Internet. My main concern though is prove that routing to SIP trunking/VoIP architecture on provider will work and can sustain voice calls.

If you can think of ways to let me test/simulate this, please let me know.

1 Reply 1

Udit Mehrotra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can run a ping probe and route calls through an alternative route using dial-peers.

Check-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/voiceport/configuration/guide/vp_pstn_fallback_ps10592_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

HTH

Udit