Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection ONLY via PC

Hulton
Level 1
Level 1

Hey!

So Im just an amateur who just wants to set up an CISCO CP-7941G in home and I have a quick question.

I have a VOIP SIP Account and I just found the IP Phone mentioned above (no power adapter though).

Is it possible (and if so - how to do it) to make the phone use only PC power (POE) and internet connection?

My point is, Im using WiFi router a bit far from the place I'd like to set the phone, so I want just to plug it into the PC via ethernet cable. That means powering it via this cable (POE) and make it use PC just like router (as long as the PC is on - the phone will have the connection). Is this even possible? How to make it use the PC as router? Will I need any addictional software?

Please help!

Regards,

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There are several methods of powering up a Cisco IP phone. They are:
1. PoE;
2. Power Injector; or
3. Power brick.
Both 2 and 3 are pretty easy to find in 2nd hand condition in websites like e-Bay.

Allright, but can I use the same RJ-45 slot for both - POE and Internet connection?

Also,

I can configure the SIP domain etc. via phone, not only via some PC software, can't I?

@Hulton wrote:

Allright, but can I use the same RJ-45 slot for both - POE and Internet connection?

That is correct. 

@Hulton wrote:

I can configure the SIP domain etc. via phone, not only via some PC software, can't I?

You can use a software-based phone (aka softphone) and configure it for IP telephony on your PC.

Yes yes, what Im asking about is configuring the Cisco phone itself.

You will need several items to get this to work: 

1. A valid SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml configuration file for the phone; 
  2. Firmware for the phone; 
  3. DHCP Option 150 configuration; 
  4. TFTP server; and
  5. A dialplan.