Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.0 - Install VMware Tools

Tan Jay Sern
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am trying to install vmware tools on CUCM 8.0 installed using workstation. But I cant seem to find the command to do it. I tried utils vmtools upgrade but it does not work.

Regards.

3 Replies 3

manpreetsingh46
Level 1
Level 1

Method 1: Using a COP file.

Step 1    Download the VMware Tools Upgrade COP file located at the following location and and copy it to your SFTP/FTP server:  
http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282827095&flowid=5329&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Step 2    From the vSphere Client log in to vCenter, or your ESXi host, and go to the Hosts and Clusters view (Ctrl+Shift+H).

Step 3   To mount the correct version of the VMware Tools software in the Guest virtual CD/DVD drive, perform the following sub-steps.

a.  Right-click the virtual machine that you are upgrading, and choose Guest > Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.
b.  In the popup window, choose Interactive Tools Upgrade

Step 4    Log in to the Unified CM Operating System Administration GUI, and choose Software Installation/Upgrade.

a.  To install the VMware Tools Upgrade COP file that you downloaded in Step 1, enter the required information in the first page of the install/upgrade wizard.
b.  To install the COP file, continue with the install/upgrade wizard. Installation of the COP file installs the VMware Tools software that you mounted in the virtual CD/DVD drive in Step 3 above.

Note: Cisco Unified Intelligence Center supports upgrading using the COP file, only through the Command Line Interface(CLI). For more details, refer to the CUIC release notes.

Step 5    To unmount the VMware Tools software from the virtual CD/DVD drive, after the COP file installation is complete, from the vSphere Client right-click the virtual machine that you upgraded, and choose VM > Guest > End VMware Tools Install.

Step 6    From the Unified CM CLI, enter the CLI command utils system restart, or choose Settings > Version > Restart  from the Unified CM Operating System Administration GUI.
The system restart completes the installation of the new version of VMware Tools. The virtual machine reboots twice. Monitor the virtual machine console from the vSphere Client to see the system status.

Step 7    When the system is back up, the tools status is updated to OK from the vCenter Summary tab for the virtual machine that you upgraded.

Method 2: CLI command

Step 1 From the vSphere Client log in to vCenter, or your ESXi host, and go to the Hosts and Clusters view (Ctrl+Shift+H).

Step 2   To mount the correct version of the VMware Tools software in the Guest virtual CD/DVD drive, perform the following sub-steps.

a. Right-click the virtual machine that you are upgrading, and choose Guest > Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.
b. In the popup window choose Interactive Tools Upgrade.

Step 3 From the Unified CM CLI, enter the CLI command utils vmtools upgrade.

The system reboots twice. Monitor the virtual machine console from the vSphere Client to see the system status.

Step 4When the system is back up, the tools status is updated to OK from the vCenter Summary tab for the virtual machine that you upgraded.

Step 5 After installation of the new version of VMware Tools is complete, remove the VMware Tools tar file from the virtual CD/DVD drive. (Usually, the VMware Tools tar file is called linux.iso). To remove the VMware Tools tar file, perform the following substeps.

a.Right-click the virtual machine that you are upgrading, and choose VM > Edit Settings > CD/DVD drive.
b.Choose Device Type as Client Device.

Method 3: Upgrade from viClient

Use the following procedure to perform this upgrade.

Step 1    From the viClient, Initiate the tools upgrade by clicking on VM > Guest > Install / Upgrade VMware Tools (this can also be done by right-clicking on the VM).

Step 2    Choose the automatic tools update and press OK.

Step 3    The process will take a few minutes. The task should then be complete and the tools should be shown as "OK". No reboot is required.

Method 4: Automatically check and upgrade VMware Tools at boot time

If the software release you are running supports Method 3 above (Automatic Upgrade),  then you can configure your virtual machine to automatically check the tools version during each VM power-on and automatically upgrade the tools if they are not up-to-date. Use the following procedure to perform this upgrade.

Step 1 Edit the VM settings by clicking on the Options tab, and select VMware tools. Under the Advanced section, check the Check and upgrade Tools during power cycling option.

A check will now be performed each time the VM powers on to determine if the tools need to be updated. Updates are performed automatically.

NoteNote:Note, if the tools do need to be updated the VM may go through an additional boot cycle to update the tools (which will be done automatically).

Thanks for the reply.

However, I am not using esxi, I am using vmware workstation. I tried the CLI command and the command does not exist.

Hi,

I tried doing some research and i only found one video but this would require you to have Root access to call manager and for that you need TAC support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZ0YiTtkJE

Please let me know if this helps.