cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 SIP Trunk to Lync 2013 without DID

timsilverline
Level 4
Level 4

I am doing some testing of Lync 2013 voice features and trying to setup calling between a UC 8.6 cluster and Lync.

I have read through many of the guides several times and have reached a state where I can successfully makes calls from Lync software clients and phones between each other, out to our Cisco infastrcuture, and externally.

I cannot, however, manage to get calls from outside or our Cisco devices to reach the lync phones.

Upon analyzing the debugs, it seems that CallManager is properly sending a SIP INVITE for the extension being dialed at Lync's address.  Lync is receiving this INVITE and responding with a message of User Not Found and the call is dropping.

Our company is setup without DIDs and all users have extensions.  I created a separate test extension range to use for Lync.  Lync uses an E.164 number format and expects the numbers to be in full notation like this for extensions: tel:+60383830160;ext=123.  Since our CallManager is just forwarding the dialed extension Lync seems to be getting stuck and dropping the call.

In order for extension dialing to work between our end users within Lync, it was necessary to create a Normalization rule as described in this article (http://jasonmlee.com/archives/426).  A translation like this is what I think is necessary here as well but the normalization rule I configured within the dial plan does not seem to work for incoming SIP connections (I guess it only works for numbers dialed from within Lync?)

I thought the Called Number Translation Rule section on the trunk configuration would be the perfect place to transform the number into the full notation Lync is expecting; but it won't take a semi-colon for the input field here (unlike the normalization rules) so I am unable to accomplish this in the way I was hoping.  I was thinking of trying a workaround on the CUCM side within the route pattern, but Cisco wont accept a semi-colon for the transformation either.

Does anyone on here have any experience with Lync voice and Cisco CUCM?  Any thoughts for how to proceed from here?  I am planning to open a case with Microsoft but their support is miserable so I thought the user community might be more effective in this case.

9 Replies 9

egua5261
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'm experiencing a similar issue with an integration of lync 2013 and CUCM 7.1. Outgoing calls work fine from a lync client to cisco IP phones or externally; but incoming calls don't. When a call is made from a cisco ip phone to a lync client.

I can see the invites and trying and in progress SIP messages on the logs in the Lync server, however the call is terminated without ringing. The logs show the following messages as part of the call flow,

ms-diagnostics: 12004;reason="The user is not authorized to call the specified number or none of the routes have a valid gateway configured.";source="FE1";appName="OutboundRouting"

Dont know why the appName is OutboundRouting, it should have been InboundRouting, i'd assume.

Have you been able to find a resolution?

Do you know how inbound routing works in lync 2013?

Appreciated,

egua5261

I was able to resolve the problem after a little digging but it was unrelated to the MS routing piece.

I had only configured my publisher as a PSTN gateway in Lync and our subscriber was the one forwarding the call to Lync, so Lync was rejecting the attempt outright.  It was just weird behavior because in the logs it would indiacte that it wasnt matching a number - but this was only because it wasnt applying the translation rule since it had rejected the call.  I don't know why it still tried to match the number afterwards but tthat's just how it works I guess.

After adding our subscriber as a PSTN gateway, the transformation was applied correctly to the inbound extensions using the normalization rule I had previously created and inbound routing worked fine.

You need to have a route pattern configured to match yor local users and the checkbox ticked for this is a local number.  That might be your issue based on that message but I am really not sure...

I've been able to fix the issue as well. I did have the route pattern configured in CUCM for the particular 4 digit extension I was using for testing. Looking at the SIP stack and S4 logging in the lync front end servers, I found that there was a SIP invite from CUCM to Lync to the 4 digit extension, which belonged to a Lync user, enabled with enterprise voice; I also found there were the Trying and In Progress messages responses from Lync to CUCM. In one of these messages I found the 4 digit number was being translated (normalised) by a dialplan rule in Lync. And the number was translated from XXXX to +XXXX, at this point lync could not find a client with that number and it was rejecting the call with 403 forbidden SIP message. As you may be aware Lync requires all numbers to be presented in the E.164 format. I found the wrong translation was done by a generic (global) normalisation rule under the global scope dial plan in Lync, it appears lync uses the rules under the global scope to normalise numbers for incoming calls. Once I configured the normalisation rule to translate the internal extension to the E.164 format, the call was routed propertly to the lync client and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

egua5261

Paolo.Losantas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I just wanna ask if what would be the possible problem here....im integrating CUCM 9 to Lync 2013 via SIP Trunk, DN of phone is XXX while lync is +763XXX.  I already configured everything and lync can call ip phones already.  The problem was when ip phone calls lync all i get is fast busy tone.  Can you help me guys??

Thank you very much in advance.

You will need to look at cucm traces or collect cucm traces and send them to us to see why lync is returning fast busy. If you can collect traces, attach them here..

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Sir,

Upon seeing the call trace from RTMT there's this error "CCM_SIP_503_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE"

The question is who is sending that error? Lync or cucm? What is the cause code given for the error.. You need to send the full sip trace

Please rate all useful posts

Where can I get that?

You should be able to get the full SIP trace from the CUCM side by enabling SIP tracing in CUCM and using the RTMT tool to collect the logs.

For the Lync side it works a litte different.  There is a program called ClsController that needs to be run to enable certain types of logging and then to extract it.

This site reviews it well:  http://www.ucprimer.com/lync2013-logging-and-tracing.html

Also, this site offers an alternative, supposedly easier to use option: http://www.mylynclab.com/2013/04/lync-2013-centralised-logging-tool.html

On another note as people are continuing to add on to this thread in Earnest, I have an update question to my original post.

After seeing this youtube video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H6kNFFq14E , it appears to be possible to somehow have only the extension from Lync show up on the Cisco phones, instead of the full E.164 notation.  I have not been able tof igure out how to do this.  The main problem is that Cisco doesn't seem to parse the Semicolon, which precedes extension.  Is there a method I am just missing to be able to do this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: