cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade question

carl.arce
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to upgrade our CUCM cluster to 7.1.2.(1Pub + 1 Sub). Current version is: 6.1.1.1000.11. Is there a way to upgrade directly to 7.1.2, o r I have to upgrade to 6.1.2 and then to 7.1.2 ? What server should upgrade firstly? Can I upgrade one of them and the other after a week? Any help will be wellcomed.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot upgrade directly

Table 4 Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 7.1(x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43081

You need to install upgrade on ALL servers, and then restart and switch partitions for both upgrades you need to do. Do not install and then swap one server at a time.

You certainly can install the patches each one week and then swap but any changes made in the meantime will be lost. You need to swap partition on all servers at the same time.

You can refer to the documentation on CCO on how to upgrade CUCM for more details if needed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

parshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You will have to do a staggered upgrade to CUCM 7.1.2 as a direct upgrade from CUCM 6.1.1 is not supported.

You will have to upgrade to either CUCM 6.1.2 or to CUCM 7.0.1 and then go to CUCM 7.1.2

You can refer to the following doc for info on upgrade paths.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

As for the upgrade process, you should always upgrade the Pub first and then the subscribers.

The way upgrades work in the newer version of CUCM, is that an inactive partition is created when you perform the upgrade. And once the upgrade is done you can switch to the inactive partition. So in your case you can upgrade your servers and wait till all the servers have been upgraded and then switch the versions. Please be very careful that your DB replication is in normal state when you are upgrading and switching the version.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot upgrade directly

Table 4 Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Upgrades for Release 7.1(x)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43081

You need to install upgrade on ALL servers, and then restart and switch partitions for both upgrades you need to do. Do not install and then swap one server at a time.

You certainly can install the patches each one week and then swap but any changes made in the meantime will be lost. You need to swap partition on all servers at the same time.

You can refer to the documentation on CCO on how to upgrade CUCM for more details if needed.

HTH

java

HTH

java

parshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You will have to do a staggered upgrade to CUCM 7.1.2 as a direct upgrade from CUCM 6.1.1 is not supported.

You will have to upgrade to either CUCM 6.1.2 or to CUCM 7.0.1 and then go to CUCM 7.1.2

You can refer to the following doc for info on upgrade paths.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp43011

As for the upgrade process, you should always upgrade the Pub first and then the subscribers.

The way upgrades work in the newer version of CUCM, is that an inactive partition is created when you perform the upgrade. And once the upgrade is done you can switch to the inactive partition. So in your case you can upgrade your servers and wait till all the servers have been upgraded and then switch the versions. Please be very careful that your DB replication is in normal state when you are upgrading and switching the version.

Thanks,

Thank you Paritosh and Java. Now I have a clear idea how to do that. One more question: is the cisco cucm dvd (7.1.2 or 6.1.2) is it the same dvd for an upgrade or for a fresh install, I mean is it the same media and the process will ask me if it is an upgrade o a new install? I need to be sure in order to ask the Cisco guys for the right media dvd.

Hi,

If you order the media using the PUT, product upgrade tool, you will get a non-bootable media. So you can perform an upgrade but will not be able to do a fresh install.

Be sure to work with your acct team and make sure that you order an upgrade for 6.1.2 and 7.1.2 seperately. If you order 7.1.2 only you might not receive 2 discs but just one and you will have to go over this thing again for 6.1.2.

Thanks,

You can order the upgrade kit for 7.1(2) for this, and you're not quite grasping how to do an upgrade. Upgrade (using DMA) or new install options are when you BOOT from the dvd, not when you already have a system running and want to upgrade

6.1(2) upgrade is available online so you don't need to order media for that part

I strongly suggest you to read this before doing anything else

Software Upgrades

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/7_1_2/cucos/iptpch7.html

HTH

java

HTH

java

I believe also, you do not have to upgrade the Subscriber. You can re-install them as new, just use the same IP address/host name and of course, same version as the Publisher was upgraded to. Saves you a little time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: