Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCMBE PSTN CALLER NO MESSAGE LEFT

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Guys,

Interesting one which i only noticed a couple of days ago. We have CUCMBE 6.1 and we upgraded to 7.1.3. everything seemed fine but started getting reports of persons not receiving voicemail from external callers.

we called in , left a message and we noticed nothing was left on the user mailbox (checked the mailbox and no new messages). Now if i call from another IP phone and leave a message, the message is received and can be played back.

If i switch the version from 7.1 to the original 6.1 it works fine. thought it might have been some bug so i upgraded to 7.1.5 but the same issue is happening.

Might someone have any insight into exactly what is causing this, how its only working internally but not from the PSTN and what might be the fix?

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It means that the messages are going to the "bad message folder". You are running into a message delievery issue. There is a bug for this version "CSCsw83747" that relates to the SMTP domain name being change breaks the external voice mail message delievery. And from your description it sounds a lot like it. The work around is to change it back to the orignal. But if you didn't change the smtp domain then of course you wouldn't be hitting it.

If you look in the call viewer the numbers are coming across correctly to match subscribers ext.?

You can try moving those messages in the bad folder to the drop with the following command:

mv /var/opt/cisco/connection/spool/UmssMtaBadMail/*.eml.mta

/var/opt/cisco/connection/spool/drop

But without traces of course I would be unable to tell if you are hitting that for sure.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

jaschulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Did you change the hostname by chance? When you look at the 'mailstore' is it using the new hostname if it had been changed?

hi,

im looking at the mailbox stores in unity connection and its the same as the previous version.

im not understanding the call flow difference between the internal to internal users Vs the PSTN users. ive check PT and CSS a few times over since that is the only thing that pops into my mind.

either that or the message is routing to some other component when an outside caller leaves a message for the user.

If outside callers are getting a greeting and not fast busy. They are hitting unity so shouldn't be a css/partition issue. But when I hear internal is working and not external regions and codecs jump to mind. Are external calls coming in g729 and a transcoder needed for unity? As it only speaks g711.

actually

i checked that as well. i was even playing around with the MTP on the gateway. the setup is very simple though and no G729 in use all G711.

im now looking through the Voicemail ports and i noticed that the device security mode is encrypted. the original box isnt and its non secure. in unity admin under port im seeing it as non-secure.

gonna address that now

This is unity connection correct?

If so could you go to CLI and run this:

admin:file list activelog cuc/UmssMtaBadMail/*

Thanks

that command shows me file count =25  and i have 25 line items ending with file extensions .eml.mta

i cleared all files from this using RTMT therefore those 25 seems to be the new test voice messages ive been attempting to leave

what does this mean?

It means that the messages are going to the "bad message folder". You are running into a message delievery issue. There is a bug for this version "CSCsw83747" that relates to the SMTP domain name being change breaks the external voice mail message delievery. And from your description it sounds a lot like it. The work around is to change it back to the orignal. But if you didn't change the smtp domain then of course you wouldn't be hitting it.

If you look in the call viewer the numbers are coming across correctly to match subscribers ext.?

You can try moving those messages in the bad folder to the drop with the following command:

mv /var/opt/cisco/connection/spool/UmssMtaBadMail/*.eml.mta

/var/opt/cisco/connection/spool/drop

But without traces of course I would be unable to tell if you are hitting that for sure.

this is what ive done with the server

1. We had an old server with 6.x and we upgraded this to 7.X

2. we took a backup of that installed 7.X on a new server and did a restore

im looking in rtmt monitoring the unity connection ports and the extension is matching the subscriber.

i just pulled the MTA files from RTMT and im seeing where its an issue with the smtp.

see attached. unless im getting old i really cant remember changing this but its really looking this way.

if you could assist in completing id really appreciate it.

ratings for previous posts applied already

ok its fixed.

geez. still dont know how that change but thanks a lot. really appreciate it.

just in case someone like myself encounters this

that bug identifies it completely. and ive changed the smtp domain to reflect the name listed in the query for the smtp user listing in the CLI.

thanks once again

Sorry had to tend to the little one...Looks like you found it though. Good work!!!

im balancing two little ones myself. Great work to you my friend and i hope that i might be able to help some poor soul in the future