cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUWL Standard License (generic user?)

rcagg
Level 1
Level 1

I work for city and have about 700 CUWL standard licenses.  We recently went over our limit and we had to remove some phones that were not in use.  We have about 30 conference phones that have no Owner ID set (each consuming an enhanced license), and many more door phones and hallway phones at City Hall and the Police/Fire Department doing the same thing.  Is it bad practice or against the rules to create a generic user like "CityHallConferenceRoom" and assign 10 conference room phones (consuming 1 Standard license instead of downgrading 10 Standard to enhanced)?  I've been able to free up about 10 standard licenses, but before I continue with the rest of the city, I just wanted to know if this was something that other IT departments do.  I searched high and low on google and could not find anyone else discussing this type of situation.

Note: These phones in question are used by many different users that just happen to occupy that room, or to request access to enter a secure department and do not need to be controlled by a specific user.

1 Reply 1

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

I believe that this breaks the terms of the software agreement and that each conference phone requires a UCL Enhanced license rather than associating ten with a single CUWL Standard license. I have actually been trying to find an official Cisco document that clearly states that this is the case as I have a potential customer whose existing support partner has associated 330 phones with a single user which is consuming 33 CUWL Standard licenses. If anyone can provide a link to such a document I would appreciate them sharing it.