cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP on phones

17roush
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few phones at a site that are pulling IP address from both the VG and from the server. I checked the phones and CM, both show the right address. I did a ping on the odd addresses and they all time out. I have also deleted the address out of DHCP, but they show back up. Anybody seen this before and know of a solution?

15 Replies 15

Hi everyone,

First off I would like to thank Aaron, Wes, and James for all their help.  I solved both of my issues with DHCP on the phones and a version error that I was receiving on a few 7960s.

1. The first issue turned out to be a simple fix.  I went back over each line of the configuration on my switches.  I discovered that the port that the data server was plugged into had an access statement that pointed to both the voice vlan as well as the data vlan.  After removing the voice command and deleting the phones out of the DHCP lease ont the dtat side, the phones were only handed out an IP from the voice router.
  2. The second issue was a little tougher to fix, but here is how I got my updates to work (there might be an easier way, if so I would like to know).  I downloaded a firmware version that was in between 7.1.2 and 8.1.2 (I used version 8.0.6).  Next I created 3 files for the phones to use a) XMLDefault.cnf.xml, b) DISTINTIVERINGLIST.cnf.xml, and c) RINGLIST.cnf.xml.  Next I downloaded the configuration file of each of the phones from Callmanager (ex.SEP.cnf.xml).  I even set up a second TFTP server that contained the configuration files and the firmware update files.  Then I edited the file for each of the phones to point to the correct load name for the update (ex. P00308000600).  Next I pointed option 150 on the DHCP scope of the voice router to the second TFTP server I setup.  I then went to each phone and set it back to factory default. I repeated this for each phone that  was affected.  The phones then updated to version 8.0.6 successfully.  Finally I changed option 150 back to the original TFTP server, rebooted the affected phones, and they updated to the version that was on the Callmanager (version 8.1.2).  Again this might not be the best solution, but it was that one that worked for me.

Again thanks to everyone that helped me solve this issue.

17Roush

Message was edited by: 17roush