Views
Helpful
Replies

EMCC - Standard Local Route Group

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

I am looking at configuring EMCC but im struggling to find the information i need to understand certain parts of the configuration. There are 3 clusters, each cluster has its own dial plan utilising Standard Local Route Groups. EMCC is to be configured between each cluster. From what i can make out from various Cisco documentation ( extracts pasted below ), is that if LRG is used then when a call is made on the visiting phone in the visting cluster tis cluster looks up the original phones device pool for LRG settings ( call fails if one doesnt exist ), it is then this phone device pool that is used and references the device pools LRG. Therefore what i can make out is the call although on a visiting phone uses the home cluster LRG and PSTN gateways.

This is what im struggling with, why if you are on the visiting cluster and want to make a call would you route out of the visting cluster PSTN, surely you should route out of your home cluster PSTN ? Am i missing something here ?

Local Route Group Routing of EMCC Visiting Phone in Home Cluster

The local route group of EMCC visiting phone in the home cluster specifies the following:

The local route group of EMCC visiting phone in the home cluster specifies the following:

Local route group of a device comprises gateways to the device local PSTN.

Calls that terminate to Standard LRG get directed to calling device LRG (that is, to gateways that connect to the local PSTN).

A normal phone and its local route group register to the same cluster.

EMCC visiting phone and its local route group register to different clusters.

Home cluster has no configured local route group of visiting phone.

Home cluster has no direct access to local PSTN gateways of visiting phone.

Calls that terminate to Standard LRG of EMCC visiting phone in home cluster get directed to visiting cluster via PSTN access SIP trunk (EMCC Configuration).

Visiting cluster finds local route group that is configured for visiting phone. (Remember that any phone that is enabled for extension mobility must configure its local route group in the visiting cluster.)

Visiting cluster routes the call to gateways in that local route group like a normal phone.

EMCC Call Flows

Home cluster may or may not use LRG. If no LRG, then call follows the configured , Route List => Route Group => Gateway path.

If the home cluster is using LRG, then a Visiting cluster receives call and looks up the original Visiting phone configuration in the database to determine its LRG setting (via its Device Pool) to find the appropriate gateway for the call.

If Visiting phone does not have a Standard Local Route Group configured in the Visiting cluster Device Pool, calls will fail. EMCC Call Flows EMCC SIP Trunk for PSTN Access

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

1 Reply 1

christian.testa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carl!

The documentation is not very clearly written.

Under normal circumstances with EMCC and no LRG you use the home cluster dial patterns and gateways. However when using LRGs, which Cisco encourages as a powerful feature to reduce dial plan complexity - the opposite happens and the call is referenced after the home cluster dial pattern, route list , then if LRG present it sends the call back to the visiting cluster which is not what you would expect. So your visiting cluster has also has to match the dialled pattern, if users are dialling normalised numbers everywhere this is fine but if not you have to double up on translations or RPs. This is  opposite that you would expect and not terribly clear from the documenation.

Christian