Views
Helpful
Replies

HW audio conferencing: Having 8-participant and 16-participant on same DSP

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I have a 29xx router (relatively modern IOS) with a single PVDM3-16. It's the media resource for a CUCM.

According to the DSP calculator, a single PVDM3-16 for a low complexity codec can support either:

i) 8*8-party conferences

ii) 6*8-party conferences AND 1*16-party conference

1) Is this a flexible allocation of resources? Meaning if I configure under the dspfarm that there are a maximum of 16 participants and 8 sessions, would it allow either of those situations based on whether a conference with more than 8 participants is going on or not?

2) Can I configure the maximum number of 16-party sessions that can happen at a time, so that I save resources for as many 8-party sessions? Otherwise 4*16-party conferences will take up all the resources and fewer groups can start up a conference.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, this is static allocation, CUCM will attempt to reserve whatever values you have under the service parameters for conferencing and fail if there are not enough resources in the CFB.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jaime. 

I read about an option called "Advanced ad hoc conferencing" which allows the chanining of ad-hoc conferences. I suppose it could be used to chain two 8-party conferences if I understood the gist of it. However, I can't seem to find a good explaination of how it's implemented at the user level.

If I have 16 phones, each with a single DN, how can this feature be used to create a single 16-party conference if the bridge is configured to allow only 8 per session? Does one phone need to have 2 DN's, and then have an 8-party conference on each DN before merging them using some softkey?

Thanks!