Views
Helpful
Replies

Incoming and outgoing dial-peer

christian.30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

I'am just a beginner and starting to learn VOIP, i would like to ask if how would i know if my dial-peer configuration is incoming or outgoing? is there any marks or configurations that i need to look into when idenfying if the pattern is incoming or outgoing dial-peer? I've read some dial peer that has a description on it like " outgoing dialpeer to PSTN" 

but seems some dial-peer has no description on it. 

Thank you community  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If I understand you correctly then yes.  There's no explicit configuration element that says "inbound only" or "outbound only", or even "inbound or outbound".  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Any dial peer can potentially be used incoming or outgoing.  The actual configuration will determine how it is used, for example the router will try to match an incoming call against each of its configured dial peers and will use the best match.  See this document down the bottom for the configuration elements that can be used ..

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/cube-dp.html#concept_1ACF9AAF93C24BB988E4A2EE3734C8A6

Edit.  In fact it also possible for a single dial peer to be used both inbound and outbound.  For example I normally use a single DP pointing to CUCM and match both inbound CUCM->Gateway and outbound Gateway->CUCM calls on the same DP.  That way parameters like codecs,. DTMF preference, address bindings, only need to be specified in one place.

Others prefer to use separate inbound and outbound, but I've not yet seen actual functional benefits from that.

So in short term , dial-peers will all depends as long as the router matches the pattern ?

If I understand you correctly then yes.  There's no explicit configuration element that says "inbound only" or "outbound only", or even "inbound or outbound".  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: