Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep the firmware version of Cisco Phones

matthewlogan46
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning an upgrade from CUCMv6.1 to CUCMv8.0 and I want the phone did not update their firmware.

To accomplish this, I have to change the names of the 

Device Defaults Information configuration in the CUCMv8
only?

For example, in the CUCMv6.1 I have the Cisco 7941 with the firmware SCCP41.8-4-4S in the Device Default Configuration of the CUCMv8 I have to replace the firmware name SCCP41.9-0-3S by SCCP41.8-4-4S ?

2 Replies 2

kking2008
Level 1
Level 1

That's correct, however, I think you'll find that you're 8.4.4s phones will fail to update to a 9.0 code anyway because there is an intermediary code level you have to load before you can go to v.9.  Plan on putting 8.5.2s on all your servers because you will need to hop through that version in order to ultimately get to v.9.

The error message on the screen when this happens, if you're interested, is something to do with a TFTP auth fail and then it will remain on its current code until you resolve the issue.

Just to add to that answer: This will only work for existing phones already registered. If you add a new phone the download attempt will error out at every reset since the 8.4.4s firmware will not exist in the post-upgrade TFTP directory. You would have to use COP files to re-install each model's 8.4.4s firmware into the cluster.

Also, just to put this out there, the old firmware version was not tested for compatibility/bugs/etc. with the CUCM 8.0 release. You risk as much by not upgrading as you do by upgrading the firmware IMO.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: