cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing 3745s

chesebrgr
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4x 3745 gateways which are handling our calls. Due to our quite complicated TCL, these can each handle up to 400 concurrent calls, at which point the CPU usage starts to get high. So we have limited the dial-peers on these to 400 calls each.

The problem is that we have to give out 4 IP addresses for them to send calls to, and tell them that each gateway has a maximum capacity of 400 calls. Since we have multiple customers they sometimes complain that one gateway is not responding when they are only sending 100 cals... because other customers are sending 300...

The solution I imagine is some kind of load balancer but I have no idea how to set up something like this. We have a spare 7206VRX with a G1 which I have attempted to do this, by putting one dial-peer for inbound and 4 for outbound. This works, as in it sends the calls to the right places, but the problem is that the 3745's see the originating IP as being that of the 7206, not of the customer.

Is it possible to use the 7206 for this task, and support up to 1600 concurrent calls? I don't expect a complete how-to but some pointers where to start would be useful. If the 7206 can't do it then what hardware or software would be required for this?

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming these are IP to IP calls:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/product_data_sheet09186a00801da698.html

Check 'Feature Availability', 7200 is supported.

Thanks Paolo, I will look into that. It looks like quite a complicated solution, to what I ~thought~ was a fairly simple job! We don't require 99% of the functionality of that but if it's the only way then I'll take a look.

You're welcome, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.