Views
Helpful
Replies

Low Active Partition Available DiskSpace

CSandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

I am encountering an issue with the available disk space on active partition, i noticed this on RTMT.

show status command on cucm :

Memory total: 5944944 K

Free: 120952 K

Used: 4837124 K

Cached: 434160 K

Shared: 371328 K

Buffers: 986868 K

Disk/active Total 14154188 K / Free 306724 K / Used 13685952 K 98%

Disk/inactive Total 14154228 K / Free 867452 K / Used 13125264 K 94%

Disk/logging Total 49573612 K / Free 27731404 K / Used 19300896 K 42%

This CUCM was updated to version 14.0.1.12900-161 , i also ran free common space.cop , no inactive version left , i did not manage to find a way to free inactive disk partition , neither which is the difference between the active/inactive , i can only make a guess what every of them represents.

I would be grateful if you have a solution to my problem.

Thank you !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Here some suggestions:

Retrieve Core Files Using RTMT

• Use RTMT to retrieve any core files that may have been in the system:
  1. Log in to RTMP and double-click Collect Crash Dump.
  2. From the pop-up window, select Cisco Call Manager. Then click Next.
  3. Click Next twice.
  4. From the Collection Time portion of the pop-up window, select the radio button for Relative Range, and specify the time in minutes, hours, days, weeks and months.
  5. On the Download File Options, select whether you want to zip the file. The Download File Location points to the default location. You can change the location by clicking the Browse button. Regardless of whether you zip the file, a pop-up window displays a warning message.
  6. Wait for RTMT to retrieve any core files.

You can use the CLI to determine if the system has any core files on the active or inactive partitions. The system provides a set of commands to display and delete any existing core files, as follows:

1. Log in to the Unified CM CLI as administrator.
  2. From the CLI, you can display any existing core files. Select the active/inactive partition where you want to display the core files by using the utils core active list or file list activelog core commands.
  3. Delete the specific core file by using the command: file delete activelog core <core file name>
  4. Check for available disk space.

Purge Log Files by Changing the Log Partition Watermarks

• Another way to create additional disk space is by changing the high and low watermarks on the system. This informs Unified CM of the numbers of log files to purge once the watermark is reached. Use RTMT as follows:
  1. Launch RTMT and log in to the desired cluster.
  2. From the left pane, select Alert Central.
  3. On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 60.
  4. On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 50.
  5. This data is polled every five minutes. Allow five to 10 minutes and then check the drive partitions for additional disk space by using one of the methods described above.

If you want to free up more disk space in the common partition, change the LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded and LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded threshold values to lower numbers (for example, 30/20).

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CM_L2_Upgrade_Disk_Space_issues#Purge_Log_Files_by_Changing_the_Log_Partition_Watermarks

You can also use the free common space COP file:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=285963825&flowid=77896&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi ,

Active partition is the one with ther running CUCM version while the inactive is the old version where you have migrated from.

If is the first installation, the Inactive Partition is totally free.

Whay  you need to free up the inactive partition while it's not used until you need to upgrade your system?

Please let me know

regards

Carlo

Thank you for clarifying this for me , so i understand there is no issue with having inactive partition almost full , anyway i would like to have it free for further eventual updates, and i did not find a solution to clear that, if you have one i would be very grateful.

Also the main problem is the active partition because i believe that having it at 100% will lead to system failure , please correct me if i am wrong ,or tell me if it is normal to have it running at almost 100% .

Hi,

Here some suggestions:

Retrieve Core Files Using RTMT

• Use RTMT to retrieve any core files that may have been in the system:
  1. Log in to RTMP and double-click Collect Crash Dump.
  2. From the pop-up window, select Cisco Call Manager. Then click Next.
  3. Click Next twice.
  4. From the Collection Time portion of the pop-up window, select the radio button for Relative Range, and specify the time in minutes, hours, days, weeks and months.
  5. On the Download File Options, select whether you want to zip the file. The Download File Location points to the default location. You can change the location by clicking the Browse button. Regardless of whether you zip the file, a pop-up window displays a warning message.
  6. Wait for RTMT to retrieve any core files.

You can use the CLI to determine if the system has any core files on the active or inactive partitions. The system provides a set of commands to display and delete any existing core files, as follows:

1. Log in to the Unified CM CLI as administrator.
  2. From the CLI, you can display any existing core files. Select the active/inactive partition where you want to display the core files by using the utils core active list or file list activelog core commands.
  3. Delete the specific core file by using the command: file delete activelog core <core file name>
  4. Check for available disk space.

Purge Log Files by Changing the Log Partition Watermarks

• Another way to create additional disk space is by changing the high and low watermarks on the system. This informs Unified CM of the numbers of log files to purge once the watermark is reached. Use RTMT as follows:
  1. Launch RTMT and log in to the desired cluster.
  2. From the left pane, select Alert Central.
  3. On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 60.
  4. On the right pane, double-click LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded. Change the threshold value to 50.
  5. This data is polled every five minutes. Allow five to 10 minutes and then check the drive partitions for additional disk space by using one of the methods described above.

If you want to free up more disk space in the common partition, change the LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded and LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded threshold values to lower numbers (for example, 30/20).

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CM_L2_Upgrade_Disk_Space_issues#Purge_Log_Files_by_Changing_the_Log_Partition_Watermarks

You can also use the free common space COP file:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=285963825&flowid=77896&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

HTH

Regards

Carlo