cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTP Allocation Question

mwinstead82
Level 1
Level 1

I am running CUCM 7.1.3 with CUBE and SIP trunks to my provider. My question is this:

I want a remote site to use the software IOS MTP that I have provisioned at that site. I have the MTP built correctly in the router and it is registered in CUCM. That MTP is in a MRG in a MRGL that is assigned to the sites device pool as well as each phone at the site. However the sites phones will not use that MTP when making calls. It is using one of the MTP's in the "default media group". I cannot make it use the MTP that is on-site. The AIP trunk does require an MTP.

I've searched around for an answer and I cant seem to find one that matches this problem.

2 Replies 2

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The bottom line is what is the calling device. The calling device will provide the MRGL to look for the media resource. It sounds like the calling device doesn't have an MRGL and therefore you are going after the default media group.

You might also have a codec mismatch, caused due to misconfigured regions that is preventing the MTP on your MRGL to be allocated and force CUCM to go for an MTP on the default that is not prevented by Region setups.

Find the allocation CI on the call manager traces, and attach the file where the MTP is allocated to the thread and we can take a look.

Media Termination Points extend supplementary services, such as call hold, call transfer, call park, and conferencing, that are otherwise not available when a call is routed to an H.323 endpoint. Some H.323 gateways may require that calls use an MTP to enable supplementary call services, but normally, Cisco IOS gateways do not.

So, SIP trunk does not MTP, only H323 trunk needs MTP