Views
Helpful
Replies

need to default 2811 router

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Please bear with me.  I noticed several topics along the lines of password recovery for a 2811 router and do not mean to ask a redundant question.  I've followed the .pdf instructions and the router will reboot as normal every time.  I manage to get to the rommon 1> and when I initially entered the confreg command as outlined in the password recovery steps it would not recognize the confreg command.  I ended up typing a ? and all the avaialble commands listed... after the commands listed, the CLI would allow me to type confreg 0x2142 which resulted in a message "need to reload or power cycle" (or something to that effect).  After typing the reset, the 2811 reloads, but reboots to normal condition.  I tried the confreg 0x102 method and got the same result.  After several attempts, it seems like the procedure is not working.  So how can I simply default the router and start from scratch if the recovery procedure fails?

Thank you!

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
21 Replies 21

thank you so much for your help... cleared the passwords in the vty 0 4 & con 0 and this did it!!

if you may allow me 1 more question... this router has an ATM AIM - can this be used to conifgure a PRI and a 4 port FXO card... I understand that DSPs are needed, but don't know if the resources on an AIM ATM module can substitute...

thank you again for your patience and help with this!

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m

I don't think ATM AIM can do voice, you will need a AIM-Voice card.
Please rate useful posts.

Ok, i think you got further, right now its prompting for the enable password. Please reset that as well with the command enable password <pwd>. You will have to go through the same cycle once more and then reset the enable password along with the username/password :(

George, if found the .pdf

Reset a Cisco Router to Factory Default Settings

and it mentions the write erase command, however it seems to require exec access, which is my initial trouble... is there another workaround that will result in the router being defaulted to factory... thank you again!

Not that I know of. The ROMMON process is your way out. Maybe your current config is in 0x2142, try changing it to 0x2102.

ok, I'll try it...

Hi George, well i got into rommon and using confreg 0x2142, it allowed me to get to enable mode and I continued with the pdf instructions (both methods) and same thing... when it reloads, it displays

User Access Verification

Password:

when I enter the new password cisco, it will not take... is there something else I can do once in enable mode? to change this?

Thank you