cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PC Network Issues Behind IP Phone

MoiTopiel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am new in a company, anytime there is a Ms teams meetings with 20+ people, where there is a presentation, a lot of us are having a delay on the presentation.

Noted. On our network we have PC's and IP phones separetaly connected to the same switch, I mean one cable for the laptop and another cable for the IP phone. we have more than one switch but its technically one network. 

If there is 5 people on the call, the presentation is good.

We have dedicated bandwith. I tested the internet connection speed, it's stable and fast. 

What do you think is the bottom line of this lagging issue when we are on the call. Thanks. 

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure what this has to do with the phones for you to post here, if the phone has its own cable to the switch and the laptop also their own cable, nothing is going through the phone in terms of non-voip traffic (unless you're using it to call in, which I'm guessing would be a separate network connection and mixed by MS), it's all your network and your connection to MS you need to look at.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I want to verify if what I think might be correct which is: having the Ip Phones and the Pcs on the same networking could create some quality issue on the notwork. I read online ms teams meeeting is not dealing to good with bad network quality. I hope am not sound hilarious. Am just trying to understand. 

That is an extremely common deployment, you'll find thousand of deployments with VoIP and regular network/internet traffic with Cisco or other vendors and unless you have bottlenecks due to HW/BW or bad configuration, all those networks are capable of carrying VoIP and use a variety of meeting platforms (MS, zoom, Cisco, Google, etc.) with no issues. BW for a VoIP call is very small in comparison to other kinds of traffic.

Suggest you take this to your networking team and also to a MS forum to ask for advice if they need QoS or something special to make sure traffic is prioritized.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

MoiTopiel
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much for your response. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"We have dedicated bandwith."

Exactly how is the bandwidth dedicated?

"I tested the internet connection speed, it's stable and fast."

Including when 20+ people are having presentation issues?

"What do you think is the bottom line of this lagging issue when we are on the call."

Either insufficient prioritized or total bandwidth to support 20+ people, concurrently.

Real-time voice and/or video are very sensitive to latency, jitter and/or packet loss.  Video, often, is also very variable in its bandwidth needs, moment to moment; also usually much more bandwidth demanding then voice.