Views
Helpful
Replies

qos for VOIP

wongcw0000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am not sure if I have posted in a correct place.I have been confused for this question for a period of time already.

As my understanding, ISP will do policing on their CPE router to meet the SLA(not sure). For example, a 2M/640K Internet link.My question is, if I used a 10Mb ethernet port to connect to the CPE router, and apply a policy-map on that port,for example, a priority 320K for RTP, will the QOS be useful?

The policing is done on the CPE router, that mean the ISP may apply a rate-limit on the interface, and they should only work as a best-effort flow. But for my router, the congestion does not happen on the local interface(as 10mb may not really being used up), so even I have specified a priority queue and a CIR for the RTP, it will still send the RTP as a normal packet...So when the RTP comes as a normal packet to the CPE, it may still be dropped/hold if the rate-limit is reached.

I understand if I do a rate-limit for normal traffic on the internal interface should work, but constantly limiting the Internet bandwidth is not the situation I hope to be....

So applying a QOS on my Router does not really help out, is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

wongcw0000
Level 1
Level 1

May someone help out?

Thanks