cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Regions (CUCM8)

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I have 5 regions set up, configured to 5 device pools for 5 sites.  I would like calls within a site to stay g722, but intersite calls to be g711.  In the regions setting is an option "64 kbps (G.722, G.711)".  What do the two separate codecs signify; codecs to be used for intrasite and intersite calls?  Intersite calls are using g722, which I would like to change to g711, but I don't see an option that's specific to g711.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Notice that you really don't set which codec to use, but the maximum amount of BW a codec can use. Meaning any codec that uses 64 kbps or less can be used.

G722 uses the same BW as G711 but it's a wideband codec.

You can enable/disable G722 globally or per device.

It also depends on device capabilities whether they could use G722 or not.

You cannot configure one for intersite and another for within-site. Since they use the same BW there is no reason not to use G722 if the devices are capable of, if you were already expecting to use the same BW for G711.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Notice that you really don't set which codec to use, but the maximum amount of BW a codec can use. Meaning any codec that uses 64 kbps or less can be used.

G722 uses the same BW as G711 but it's a wideband codec.

You can enable/disable G722 globally or per device.

It also depends on device capabilities whether they could use G722 or not.

You cannot configure one for intersite and another for within-site. Since they use the same BW there is no reason not to use G722 if the devices are capable of, if you were already expecting to use the same BW for G711.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hey Java,

Thanks for the quick response.  Much appreciated.