Views
Helpful
Replies

Region System Defaults and OPUS

j.dewiele
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to use OPUS at 510kbps for most of my calls between sites. So it makes sense to set the system default for interregion calls, and intraregion as well for that matter, to 510Kbps. However the maximum setting is only 256K. Am I missing something?

Also there's the matter of how much bandwidth the CUCM locations mechanism assigns for an OPUS call. Is it the OPUS bandwidth plus IP/UDP/RTP header bandwidth.

Thanks for the consideration.

1 Reply 1

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The maximum Audio bit rate in service parameter is showing 256 Kbps ? I am not sure OPUS is going to consume 512 kbps for a SIP audio call, but check how much maximum we can define in Maximum audio bit rate in service parameter.

Cisco suggestion is to use system default and define maximum bit rate in service parameter. Further, for inter-region you are already choosing the OPUS codec to use right I don't think we need to worry about it.

Regarding location, choose appropriate bandwidth or unlimited based on your requirement. Cisco calculates the bandwidth for the complete packet including all the headers for example for g711=80, g729 = 24,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide-90/CUCM_BK_CDF59AFB_00_admin-guide_chapter_01111.html

Now for Opus call also, if you are planning to specify the bandwidth then yes you need to consider the complete packet size but again i am not sure how much  OPUS call is going to consume. If you can afford to keep OPUS for intersite calls then you should keep location settings to Unlimited for audio calls :)