Views
Helpful
Replies

Route List Configuration Advice and Confirmation

Matthew Martin
Level 5
Level 5

Hello All,

Hopefully someone can check out the below details and let me know if I'm doing this correctly, or if this will work the way I am thinking.

CallManager: 8.6.2.24901-1

What I am trying to do is configure a Route List that contains a single Route Group. Inside the Route Group there are two 2821s which are used as Fax Gateways. Each 2821 is located in a completely separate location. The 1st location is our "Main / HQ" location and the 2nd is our "DR / Failover" location. Connected to each of these 2821s is a MultiTech FaxFinder (*Fax-to-Email Server). The FaxFinder in the DR location shouldn't get used until we are Failed-over to this location. Also, the same telephone number is configuered within both of these FaxFinders and within both of the 2821s. So basically, both locations's FaxFinder and 2821 are configured to receive the same DN/Telephone number, which is our 800 Fax Number.

At the moment there is a Route Pattern for this telephone number that sends these calls to a Route List/Group which contains only our Main Location's 2821. What I am doing now is, I am creating a new Route List and Route Group. Inside the new Route Group I have BOTH 2821s (*HQ and DR locations) as its selected devices, and the Distrobution Algorithm is set to "Top Down", see below...

Route Group Name: 800-FAX-RG
Distro Algorithm: Top Down
Route Group Members:
    HQ-2821-01
    DR-2821-01

So what I want to happen is, when our HQ is failed-over to our DR Location I want the calls to the 800 fax line to go to the DR-2821-01 router, which is set as the 2nd option in the Route Group's selected devices. And as I understand it, if the CallManager in our DR Location receives a 800 Fax Call and it tries sending the call to my new Route Group, it should first try HQ-2821-01 and in this instance that would be unreachable, so it should then send the call to DR-2821-01, which is configured to recevie the 800 Fax Line's DN. Otherwise, if we are NOT failed-over and a call comes into the 800 Fax Line, the HQ-2821-01 should be offered the call first and since it is UP it should then handle the call accordingly.

Since the two 2821s are in separate locations, each containing their own CallManager(s), do I need to enable the option below inside the new Route List configuration for this to work..?
    "Run On All Active Unified CM Nodes"

Would I need that option to achieve what I want here, and does the configuration/logic behind this sound correct?
Any thougths or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Your logic is correct and your configuration will work as you explained (I am assuming that both primary and DR call managers are part of same cluster).

Without 'Run On All Active' option: Assuming that your RL is registered with PR-CUCM, if a phone is using DR-CUCM as first selection based on CUCM-Group, DR-CUCM will trigger PR-CUCM to signal HQ-Router. This signaling between DR and PR CUCMs is happening at SDL layer as part of intra-cluster communication. In this case, DR-CUCM will be signaling the phone, PR-CUCM will be signaling the HQ-Router, and both CUCMs will be exchanging messages between nodes.

With 'Run On All Action' Option: In this case DR-CUCM will handling the signaling with the phone and the HQ-Router without involving PR-CUCM even if RL is registered with PR-CUCM.

My suggestion is to turn this feature off and make sure that your CUCM-Group used for both phones and devices is same to register and signal the same CUCM

Hey Mohammed, thanks for the reply!

Ok cool, thanks for checking that out. Sorry, my head spun a litte bit trying to grasp the intra-cluster stuff you were saying, but this is how the CM Groups are configured.

We have a total of 3 CallManagers. Two CallManagers in our HQ location and One CallManager in our DR location. Let's call them CUCM01-HQ, CUCM02-HQ and CUCM03-DR.

The Unified CM Groups are configured like so:
     - HQ-Group
        CUCM02-HQ
        CUCM01-HQ
        CUCM03-DR

- DR-Group
        CUCM03-DR
        CUCM02-HQ
        CUCM01-HQ

So given the above configuration, should I still leave that option turned-off for this to work as expected?

Thanks again for the reply, very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Hi,

Yes you can keep the option off based on this config. However, make sure that the phones and gateways at HQ are using HQ-Group. Similarly, phones and gateways at DR are using DR-Group.

*** Please rate useful posts