cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router clock

inaeemcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have changed my Router's clock to date and saved it, but as I restart my Router it reverts back to like 8:10:30 20 Jan 2036. What is causing this issue. Need help.

Regards,

Imran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

are you writing the configuration after making changes please send output of this command along with show run which i have request for.

show clock detail

Please go through this doc it has the solutions which you are facing

http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/mar/28/cisco-ios-clocks-and-ntp/

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

how did you change the clock on router, are you using any NTP server? please post the show run from your router.

Br,Nadeem Ahmed

PS: Please rate all useful post.

No  i am not using any NTP server. I changed clock by command clock set and when i boot it reverts back

are you writing the configuration after making changes please send output of this command along with show run which i have request for.

show clock detail

Please go through this doc it has the solutions which you are facing

http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/mar/28/cisco-ios-clocks-and-ntp/

Br,

Nadeem

We can use the command clock set (from privilege exec mode, not global configuration) to modify the current time and date. Remember to set the time and date in UTC, not your local time zone.

Router# clock set 17:49:00 27 march 2011
Router#
*Mar 27 17:49:00.000: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 03:01:05 UTC Sun Mar 27 2011 to 17:49:00 UTC Sun Mar 27 2011, configured from console by console.
Router# show clock detail
17:49:05.271 UTC Sun Mar 27 2011
Time source is user configuration

The time now appears to be authoritative (the asterisk has been removed) and the source of the timing has been changed to "user configuration." The novice could be forgiven for assuming that the router's clock is now correctly set. Notice, however, that the hardware clock has not been updated, as we can see from the output of show calendar:

Router# show calendar
03:04:01 UTC Sun Mar 27 2011

If we were to reboot the router, the software clock would be resynchronized with the hardware clock upon boot and revert to the incorrect time. We could set the hardware clock manually as we did with the software clock using the command calendar set, but given that the software clock has already been set we can use the command clock update-calendar to synchronize the hardware clock to the software clock: