cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Faxing

rumplenelskin
Level 1
Level 1

I've been combing through a lot of old posts on here trying to find a solution.  I keep finding topics that are a couple of years old or older but no real solutions.  I have a Savin (Ricoh) C9130 MFC printer that we use for it's fax function.  I have used it with a VG224 effectively but recent changes in wiring in the area it is in has resulted in excessive noise on the analog line.  I've noticed a section in the menu for SIP configuration.  I've tried creating a third party sip device in my CUCM 10.5 and adding the MAC address but haven't had any success in getting it to register at all.  I can ping the printer from CUCM so I know they should talk.  Am I wasting my time?  I know that usually when a topic stops being discussed for a couple of years it either means that a real solution was found and everyone already knows the answer (except me I guess) or no solution was ever found and everyone just gave up.  Any input would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

tonyperla
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

Could you elaborate on what the issue is?  Did you have a working fax machine using a SIP trunk and then a wiring change has caused faxing to no longer function?  Are you looking to reconfigure the setup within CUCM to test?  In my test environment I have a VG224 that is setup has an MGCP gateway and I can see if the port is registered or not.  

Hope this helps

Tony

Please rate helpful posts

Please rate helpful posts
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the reply, the issue isn't the vg224. It works still as it always did.  The issue is it isn't a viable connection due to excessive electronic noise created on the analog lines that run to the fax machine.  Rewiring isn't immediately an option either.  Maybe in the future but not today.  I'm looking for help in configuring my cucm and my fax machine to leverage the SIP features of the fax to become an endpoint basically.  I found an earlier thread from a couple of years ago where someone claimed to be successful in doing it but the configurations they shared were very non-specific.  They said "Setting's go something like this.  On CM set up a third party sip device with an Ext. Configure a digest user.

On Ricoh IP fax settings Enable SIP Enable server Use the ext Number for the user name.  Enter CM Address in registrar address.  Turn on digest auth,  and enter the username password of the digest user created in CM.  It should register right up.  You have to use t38 relay to whatever device it is communicating for it to work"  Third part SIP, Check!  Digest authentication..Check!  Enter proper MAC address on CUCM ...  Check!!  "registered right up"....... not so much.

Settings go something like this,

On CM set up a Third-party SIP Device with an ext, configure a Digest User.

on Ricoh IP-Fax settings, enable sip, enable server. Use the ext number for user name. Enter cm address in Registrar address. Turn on Digest Auth, and enter the username/password of the digest user used on CM.

It should register right up, you have to use t.38 relay to whatever device it is communicating for it to work.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11130651/cucm-71-help-configuring-ricoh-ip-fax#sthash.hJ3HTWI4.dpuf

on Ricoh IP-Fax settings, enable sip, enable server. Use the ext number for user name. Enter cm address in Registrar address. Turn on Digest Auth, and enter the username/password of the digest user used on CM.

It should register right up, you have to use t.38 relay to whatever device it is communicating for it to work.

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11130651/cucm-71-help-configuring-ricoh-ip-fax#sthash.hJ3HTWI4.dpuf

sorry for the extra trash at the end.  I was trying to copy and paste and it didnt seem to be working until after I posted