cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP proxy functionality - what can be done?

1977bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I have a use case that I have been thinking about. Please see the attached sketch. Could you have a cube (or any other form of voice gw) dynamically register sip ua:s with authentication over radius towards a user db?

What I would NOT like to have:

- ua Phone numbers configured in cube

- ua credentials configured in cube

What I would like to have:

- ua registered to cube/gw so that I can point it out easily from cucm

If one could have the gw just acting as a proxy it could potentially handle a lot of ua:s given that they are not registered at the same time. This way you could build and scale the solution to handle concurrent connections rather than registering "all ua:s"

I have a current lab setup where I use "network id" to handle registrations but I still need to specifically specify user dn:s to the phones which works in lab but would fill upp rapidly (not scalable) in production.

Regards

Bjorn

2 Replies 2

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bjorn,

As you know a sip proxy does nothing other than forward/relay requests. CUBE cant do a lookup as you want, that is not possible. CUBE also does not authenticate UAC, it only forwards authentication requests to UAS

Please rate all useful posts

Yeah. I guess the sip registrar function (with the "voice register pool" and "network id" command) is really an SRST functionality and not intended to scale. What I need is really some registrar that can handle possibly tousands of addresses but we only need to have a couple of hundred concurrent sessions. I guess the only sane thing to use the proxy for is to have some kind of failover to different back ends (different dialpeers that points to different systems). I cannot think of any valid cisco-backend system except cucm, but that will not fulfill our user authentication db requirement (we need to have authentication towards another db, like MySQL or something like that)

Maybee kamailio or asterisk or something would be the right thing... (any ideas are welcome)

regards

Bjorn