cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk Configuration with Session Border controller for Call Mgr 9.1(1)

ronald.nutter
Level 1
Level 1

I recently took over the Call Mananger server for my group.  SIP Trunk service has been ordered.  The provider has advised they will be supplying a session border controller that will be our connection point to their service.  Their session border controller will server as a firewall between our network and theirs.  It will also authenticate to their system so that we dont have to.  I have given them the ip address and subnet mask to use for the interface on their device that will connect to our network.

I have been looking for a document that tells me what I need to do on Call Manager for it to know that the SIP Trunk is there.  I have had a class on Call Manager 9.1 but we didnt cover anything about SIP Trunk.  I have been looking for docs on configuration needed on Call Manager to use SIP Trunk in this situation and havent been able to find one.

Would appreciate any links to docs that will help me with this.

Thanks,

Ron                  

6 Replies 6

Ronald with a little more information I could get more specific docs.

Here is the SIP trunk best practices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/white_paper_c11-620461.html

Also always keep in mind the inbound CSS and siginificant digists, so your CUCM can route properti ibound calls comming from the SBC

Please Kudos/rate if this help!

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ronald,

You should verify what type of SBC this is.Is it ACME or Cisco CUBE? The specific configuration you need will depend on the exact model of SBC

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

From what the SIP Provider has told me, this is a third party device.  Will reach out to them and see if they can give me specifics.

Ron

Ronald,

Also double check if this SBC will be fully in control of the telco, and double check the Calling restrictions (Calling presentation or how telco expect you to present calls, so you can prepare CUCM side).

Ask them how many digits we will handle inbound and outbound.

Jose:

Thanks for the info.  The SIP Provider is SureWest (aka Consolidated).  They are supposed to be the telco on this part.

Will add your questions to the list I have been building.  I have been dealing with two different people. One is the tech who will be installing the sbc.  I think the bulk of the questions are going to be directed to the implementation engineer who is supposed to be helping me turn up the service.

Ron

Just got this back from the SIP Provider -

SureWest will install an InnoMedia 16795  eSBC at your location.

The hand-off will be Ethernet.

If the call manager is equipped with a SIP enabled edge device then Cisco may not require an SBC.

Even if CM would handle the edge device functionality, I would still prefer to have an intermediate device between us and the provider.  They are putting us on a layer 2 private vlan.  In previous conversations with them, only their NOC and us will be able to see the ip address range that is between us and the NOC.

Ron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: