cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA2102 problem after power outage

philopator
Level 1
Level 1

I live in a place with frequent power outages. I don't mind losing the phone for few minutes, but the problem is that after SPA2102 reboots, the phone line is not working.

After much investigation, it seems that it's happening because SPA2102 boots before cable modem is ready. Because of that SPA2102 cannot obtain an IP from DHCP. I cannot set a static IP on it because my ISP does not provide it.

My SPA2102 is working in a bridge mode and is located between internet cable modem and home router.

Interestingly, after the reboot, the Internet and the home router seem to be working fine, only the phone line is not working.

Manually rebooting SPA2102 once the cable modem is ready fixes the problem.

Is there any way to resolve this timing issue by somehow delaying SPA2102 boot, or delaying DHCP connection, or delaying line setup?

Thanks a lot,

Philopator

1 Reply 1

philopator
Level 1
Level 1

I found a hacky workaround to the problem. My goal was to delay obtaining IP from DHCP until cable modem is up. Now, SPA2102 has number of modes:

• DHCP
  • Static IP
  • PPPOE
  • PPPOE, DHCP
  • DHCP, PPPOE

I knew that PPPOE wouldn't work, but it would probably take time to try. This is the time that i needed for cable modem to come up. So, i set my SPA2102 to "PPPOE, DHCP" mode, and now it works like charm, and survives the outages.

Enjoy if you have the similar problem.