cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stream audio and join on a Cisco handset as a conference call (on mute)

paulavts1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This is a technical question that I’d appreciate some help with.

It is quite common on trading floors to have televisions playing in the background. Rather than have sound blaring out, the audio is normally made in to a stream to be replayed through a telephone handset. With turrets this can easily be done using speakers, therefore meaning other people listening don't have any audio being received in to the conference bridge the stream is playing on (or worse, hold music). Apparently with Cisco it isn't possible to set users to be automatically muted when they join a conference.

Any ideas how we can overcome this?

I thought something around the Intercom functionality might be the answer - we need to be able to use intercom in reverse, as in the audio is always streaming and when a user wants to, they join the session/call/stream in ‘whisper intercom’ mode with their line muted.

So basically, is it possible to stream audio, which can be joined/conferenced from a Cisco handset?

Thanks in advanced.

1 Reply 1

dfokin
Level 1
Level 1

I think, you may achieve needed result in two steps:

1. Stream your audio through your network using multicast and g.711 codec

2. Create IP phone application, which will connect to this stream and play it using headset (RTPMRx function in IP Phone services Development guide)

The person, who need audio must pick up handset, press application button and voila!