cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Pattern Configuration Advice

sps210001
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a basic rundown of our configuration. 

We use 3 route patterns in call manager:

These three patterns are in a partition.

9.XXXXXXXXXX
9.1XXXXXXXXXX
9.XXXXXXX (Block this pattern) block 7 digit dialing to force 10 digit dialing.

Obviously the 911 calling is in a separate partition.

We only use route patterns to point to a fax server.

The problem we are running into is that we translate all 10 digit patterns into a 4 digit extension, and basically every time someone internally dials the off code (in this case 9) a call that should translate to a 4 digit extension is routed out the SIP trunk and becomes an unnecessary long distance call. 

I think stripping the exit code would correct that and hairpin the call back into call manager that way it translates to the correct 4 digit extension but I am not 100% sure how to do that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Set Discard Digits to PreDot for the 9.XXXXXXXXXX translation pattern. Do users ever dial 10 digits for external calls? If so, you might want to make this translation pattern something more specific that would match your internal numbers - 9.1112223XXX for example so that both internal calls and external 10 digit calls would both route correctly.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Actually I already have the set Discard Digits to PreDot for both

9.XXXXXXXXXX
9.1XXXXXXXXXX

Yes they dial are force to dial 10 digits as one of the patterns is created to block 7 digit dialing. 

Attached is output from DNA.

In the DNA output looks like you dialed 91+number. Should this translate to 4 digits or only when dialing 9+10 digits? If 91 should also translate to 4 digits, you would need to change the pattern to 91.XXXXXXXXXX and leave discard digits as PreDot. As I mentioned before you would need to make the pattern specific to your internal numbers so that external calls would continue to route properly as well. You could also make the patterns 91112223XXX and 911112223XXX, no discard digits and make the called party transform mask XXXX for example to translate to a 4 digit extension.

The problem is most of our DID's are Translation Patterns that are transformed into a 4 digit extension. 

IE

8143837016 -> 3492

8143837017 -> 3496

so on and so forth. 

All of these Translation Patterns belong into a single partition. 

When I worked at Penn State it was easy to do the dial-plan because they had huge DID blocks and the last 4/5 digits were the phone extension.  Here is completely different. 

I do appreciate your help!

That does make it more difficult. Your options are:

1. Mandate that users dial 10 digits only for internal calls. External calls would need 11 digits. Use the 9XXXXXXXXXX translation pattern and translate to 4 digits.

2. Create a 9+number translation pattern for each DID. Depending on the number of DIDs you have this may not be feasible. Ongoing maintenance also becomes more cumbersome.

Brandon