Views
Helpful
Replies

using a VG310 as a voice router w/PRI

George Banuelos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

The Overview of the Cisco VG310 and Cisco VG320 Voice Gateways on Cisco's website lists the VG310 as being able to support VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1.  Does this mean that you can use a VG310 as a voice gateway instead of a 29XX/39XX ISR?  We are considering a roll-out design for some smaller sites where we will be using CUCM 10.5, VR 2921, VG310 and thought that we could use a VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 on the VG310 as back up to our 2921 in case of maintenance or outage.

Can someone please confirm whether or not, we can use a VG310 with  VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 & enough DSPs to support a full PRI?

Supported Voice Interface Cards and Voice WAN Interface Cards

The EHWIC slot on the Cisco VG310 and Cisco VG320 chassis supports the following VICs and VWICs:

• Cisco VIC3-2FXS/DID
  • Cisco VIC3-2FXS-E/DID
  • Cisco VIC3-4FXS/DID
  • Cisco VIC3-2E/M
  • Cisco VIC2-2FXO
  • Cisco VIC2-4FXO
  • Cisco VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1
  • Cisco VWIC3-2MFT-T1/E1
  • Cisco VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE

Thank you!!

George

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Q Can someone please confirm whether or not, we can use a VG310 with  VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 & enough DSPs to support a full PRI?

A. Yes, it can support 1 Full PRI (Voice ONLY, no Data) as one can upgrade the DSPs from PVDM3-64 to all the way upto PVDM3-64-U-256 (Factory Upgrade, not sure about field upgrade)

Q Does this mean that you can use a VG310 as a voice gateway instead of a 29XX/39XX ISR?

A. Yes, however only Voice protocols will be supported, No WAN Data Cards are supported, neither do I envision any Routing Protocol .e.g. EIGRP / OSPF etc being supported (but there is a support for SL-VG3X0-DAT-K9 which is Data Lic, however I am not sure what features will be added if you are opting for that Lic)

Q We are considering a roll-out design for some smaller sites where we will be using CUCM 10.5, VR 2921, VG310 and thought that we could use a VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 on the VG310 as back up to our 2921 in case of maintenance or outage.

A. I dont see why it will/cannot be used to support Voice Gateway if you are connecting to PSTN using FXO/VWIC E1/T1 card

Btw, I built a Configuarion using CCW, which confirms that, enough DSPs can be put into it to support a full PRI (E1) and 24 Port FXS at the same time

HTH

View solution in original post

Glad to know that we were helpful to you.

On a side note, I would want you to know that, VWIC / and FXO are  supported only if you use it as MGCP Gateway (I haven't checked the H.323 or SIP GW Config part.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Q Can someone please confirm whether or not, we can use a VG310 with  VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 & enough DSPs to support a full PRI?

A. Yes, it can support 1 Full PRI (Voice ONLY, no Data) as one can upgrade the DSPs from PVDM3-64 to all the way upto PVDM3-64-U-256 (Factory Upgrade, not sure about field upgrade)

Q Does this mean that you can use a VG310 as a voice gateway instead of a 29XX/39XX ISR?

A. Yes, however only Voice protocols will be supported, No WAN Data Cards are supported, neither do I envision any Routing Protocol .e.g. EIGRP / OSPF etc being supported (but there is a support for SL-VG3X0-DAT-K9 which is Data Lic, however I am not sure what features will be added if you are opting for that Lic)

Q We are considering a roll-out design for some smaller sites where we will be using CUCM 10.5, VR 2921, VG310 and thought that we could use a VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 on the VG310 as back up to our 2921 in case of maintenance or outage.

A. I dont see why it will/cannot be used to support Voice Gateway if you are connecting to PSTN using FXO/VWIC E1/T1 card

Btw, I built a Configuarion using CCW, which confirms that, enough DSPs can be put into it to support a full PRI (E1) and 24 Port FXS at the same time

HTH

Great, thank you for confirming Wilson - very much appreciate your time and input... looks like we got a good option here.

George

"I believe that the greatest work of God has not been in the miraculous, nor in the spectacular, incomprehensible Creation, but rather I believe it was accomplished on the Cross where He Himself purchased the redemption of His Bride... the salvation of m

Glad to know that we were helpful to you.

On a side note, I would want you to know that, VWIC / and FXO are  supported only if you use it as MGCP Gateway (I haven't checked the H.323 or SIP GW Config part.

HTH

That's great to know - we'd be using MGCP.  Very helpful.

George

By the way it supports H323/SIP as well, refer to below:

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100_chapter_0100110.html#CUCM_RF_V83D221A_00

Voice Gateway Model Summary of Supported Protocols, Trunks, and Port Types

The following table summarizes Cisco voice gateways that Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports with information about the supported signaling protocols, trunk interfaces, and port types.

Table 1 Supported Voice Gateways, Protocols, Trunk Interfaces, and Port Types
Gateway ModelSupported Signaling ProtocolsTrunk InterfacesPort TypesNotes

Cisco VG310

MGCP

T1/CAS/PRI

E1/PRI

FXS/FXO/BRI

SCCP

FXS/BRI

H.323 and SIP

T1/CAS/PRI

E1/PRI

FXS/FXO/BRI

-Terry

Thank you for chiming in Terry - also very helpful to know we have H.323 & SIP as options.

George

Tnx Terry for your invaluable input, greatly appreciated (+5)

Regards

Would you be willing to share your config? I am not finding any specifics on the configuration website on setting this up. And just worked with TAC and was told that this is not possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: