cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using CISCO 9971 with ShoreTel SIP server?

lukebenfey
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any success using Cisco 9971s with a ShoreTel server?  I've been utterly unable to get the 9971s to register with our ShoreTel Server and I'm really not sure what I've been doing wrong. 

We're running ShoreTel 11.1, and the 9971s are at Firmware version 9.2.1.   They appear to be picking up their SEP(MAC).cnf.xml file correctly from our tftp server, so I am assuming that I must have something configured incorrectly in that .xml file or else on the ShoreTel server itself. 

Also, whenever a phone boots it is looking for several files that do NOT exist... Can anyone tell me if these are important, or at least showstoppers?:

CTLSEP(MAC).tlv

ITLSEP(MAC).tlv

ITLFile.tlv

gd-sip.jar

g4-tones.xml

I have been trying to work with a very stripped down SEP(MAC).cnf.xml file at first, in order to try to minimize possible points of failure, at least until we get it it up and running initially. Is it possible that I have stripped too MUCH out?  Currently, file contents are:

<device>

<devicePool>

<callManagerGroup>

<members>

<member priority="0">

<callManager>

<ports>

<ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>

</ports>

<processNodeName>192.168.171.16</processNodeName>

</callManager>

</member>

</members>

</callManagerGroup>

</devicePool>

<deviceProtocol>SIP</deviceProtocol>

<loadInformation model="IP Phone 9971">sip9971.9-2-1</loadInformation>

<sipProfile>

<sipProxies>

<outboundProxy>192.168.171.16</outboundProxy>

<outboundProxyPort>5060</outboundProxyPort>

<registerWithProxy>true</registerWithProxy>

</sipProxies>

<dialTemplate>dialplan.xml</dialTemplate>

<phoneLabel>SIPTEST</phoneLabel>

<sipLines>

<line button="1" lineIndex="1">

<featureID>9</featureID>

<featureLabel>SIP-TEST</featureLabel>

<name>SIPTEST</name>

<displayName>SIP-TEST</displayName>

<contact>SIPTEST</contact>

<proxy>192.168.171.16</proxy>

<port>5060</port>

<autoAnswer>

<autoAnswerEnabled>2</autoAnswerEnabled>

</autoAnswer>

<callWaiting>3</callWaiting>

<authName>SIPTEST</authName>

<authPassword>siptest</authPassword>

</line>

</sipLines>

</sipProfile>

</device>

I have been stumped for a while, now, so hopefully someone can give me some pointers.  Thanks!

6 Replies 6

lukebenfey
Level 1
Level 1

Progress!  I have been able to get the 9971 to register with the ShoreTel server... It can now successfully make outbound calls, however it can still not ACCEPT incoming calls.  (calls to the assigned extension go direct to voicemail).

Similarly, it looks like the SIP port (5060) is not even open on the phone.  Can you tell me what is the appropriate line in the SEP(mac).cnf.xml wherein I would turn the local SIP port on? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Hi Luke,

Good to see someone else trying out this setup.

I'm able to make and receive calls with the attached config. See how you get along.

Heya Karpathian!  Thanks for the cnf, it has been very helpful!  Can you  tell me what, if any, other files you need to give the phones in order  for them to work?  I mean, they are looking for a couple of .tlv files  and a dialplan.xml from the tftp server when I watch the logs.

Hi Luke,

I'm aware of the phone's attempts to find those files you mentioned, but they aren't required.

On the Shoreware Director, make sure your user account has full permissions to be able to make calls. My account is in the "Master Executives" group. Also make sure you are using the correct prefix to dial an external number.

What is the exact issue you are facing though? Are you able to call other local extensions?

Well, now I've been able to get the phone to make and receive calls, which is great.    However, and this is the weird thing, I can't seem to get it to accept any NTP settings at all.

I *BELIEVE* I have it configured correctly in the cnf.xml file:

M/D/Y

Pacific Standard/Daylight Time

Unicast

However, when I sniff network traffic the phone doesn't even appear to be making an attempt to use that NTP server.  Very odd.

So essentially, the phone is picking up the correct Time Zone (it shows up correctly in the phone's web interface), but whenever I boot the phone it thinks it is 4:00 PM on 12/31/1981.  (Happy New Year! 1982 is gonna be SWEET!)

I am sorry to resurrect a post that is so old, but was anyone ever able to figure this out?  I have a phone that is doing the same thing and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why.  It is ONLY the 9971 that is doing it, all of the 7962s and 7942s that we have on the system are fine.  The 9971 has firmware load 9-3-2SR1-1.

Any ideas would be appreciated.