cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why deploy SME

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

I`ve been wondering on the use of SME - Why? I`ve been involved in clients whereby they have deployed a number of SME`s to help with call routing however I`m still not sure on why

• Centralised Cisco Apps- ok, I can see this , but why not just a CUCM cluster
  • Cisco apps for TDM system - I can see SME can be used whereby you connect TDM systems to them , wish to make use of Cisco features such as Voice Mail, SNR etc , CUEAC etc where the TDM is just used to provide dial tone to the user however surely though this can be done with a regular CUCM , this is no drive to have to use SME
  • Trunk Aggregation - The other suggestion for SME is trunk aggregation but again CUCM can do this why have a separate "jazzed up" CUCM
  • Dial Plan - If the customer was to implement CUCM as leaf clusters and the dial plan designed as such 1 for North America, 44 for UK, 33 France as example then through good design, you only need to route based upon the Site code and so lower levels do not need to be aware do not need to do down any further levels
  • Simplified Call Routing -Ok using a SME, you can set up a single route to all unknown DN`s to a SME so only changes are needed on a single system - understand but again why an SME, why not a CUCM

The above is all do-able using a good dial plan design as well as using CUCM- why SME or is it just convention, what is the drive to SME

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So, Cisco can get more revenue :-)

I agree, SME can serve purpose in large deployments with messy dial plans, and during migrations from large environments where multiple integrations are required.  In my personal opinion SME is ofter upsold when not really needed, and it would be fine if you did not have to pay for SIP CPS licensing.

Chris