cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 turn off IPv6

joseph.duffy
Level 1
Level 1

I know that this will sound odd, but how do I turn off all IPv6 from running in a C9300 running IOS-XE 17.9.5

I've found many articles and STIG's that accomplish this via complicated ACL's but I would like to think there would be an easier way

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @joseph.duffy ,

IPv6 routing is not enabled by default in IOS-XE.

You need to explicitly turn it on with the following command: ipv6 unicast-routing

What you might be referring to though, is the fact that some IPv6 traffic might traverse the C9300 encapsulated in IPv4 packets. As you mentioned, one way to make sure that this does not happen is to build an ACL that protects you against it.

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I think by Use 

Interface range 

No ipv6 enable

This will disable ipv6 in all interfaces

MHM

MHM,

Thanks, but it's not an option on my interfaces under the 17.9.5 version.   Looks like I'll have to implement the larger grouping of ipv6 access-list method

- Joe 

This command run only in l3 port not under l2 port' this SW so I think all port is l2' you can convert it to l3 via no switchport the  add no ipv6 enable.

Goodluck 

MHM

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @joseph.duffy ,

IPv6 routing is not enabled by default in IOS-XE.

You need to explicitly turn it on with the following command: ipv6 unicast-routing

What you might be referring to though, is the fact that some IPv6 traffic might traverse the C9300 encapsulated in IPv4 packets. As you mentioned, one way to make sure that this does not happen is to build an ACL that protects you against it.

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México