cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Freedom of selection of IPv6 enable IOS

SASipraPK
Level 1
Level 1

I feel lack of freedom in selection of IPv6 IOS: as per my experience we start with SRC, then we upgarde to SRC3, then to SRD, now we are running SRD4 on our Cisco7600 with SUP32 and Cisco7600 with RSP720, these all upgrades are because of  some BUG and upon cisco support recomendation. we are running services like MPLS, MPLS-TE, VPLS, EoMPLS.

but now when i feel there are few options of Cisco IPv6 enabled IOS supporting above services, what happen in case of a BUG encounter and change of IOS required, where we will go... i am afraid .....we could have to roll back IPv6....

In Short... IPv6 in Cisco IOS is a Luxury and privilege rather default service as IPv4  !!!

kindly comment...

Regards,

Sohail A Sipra

1 Reply 1

John.Ladwig
Level 1
Level 1

I tend to agree, given that my c887 can't negotiate the same DHCP-based address in v6 as it can from v4 on my ISP.

The critical component of v6 support is only available in the extra-cost "Advanced IP Services" feature set.

If Cisco is serious about v6 being the future of the Internet, I don't understand why a $500 business-class CPE device has to have an extra-cost license of $120 to enable basic address capability.

-jml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card