Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV4 and IPV6 on the same computer

Yami - networks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community !

I just wanna know when a computer "the system actually" configured with two version of ip (4 and 6) .

Does the computer choose automatically the type of @ based on what destination adresse version like that,? or there is some more infos you can help me know 'em,

Thanks in advance :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on Operating system, since IPv6 not fully available, people mostly configure IPv4 over IPV6 preferred

Some cases may not be the same, if the organization ready with IPv6 and dual-stack available in the environment, they can use IPv6

it's all how you designed the network, who handover the IP address on the network layer?

make sense ?#

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on Operating system, since IPv6 not fully available, people mostly configure IPv4 over IPV6 preferred

Some cases may not be the same, if the organization ready with IPv6 and dual-stack available in the environment, they can use IPv6

it's all how you designed the network, who handover the IP address on the network layer?

make sense ?#

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

may be i didn't say much / u get me wrong .

but the thing is simple , a Network Card with two ip @ use one of them based on destination ip @ that all 'I think'

correct me if so :)

Hi,

@balaji.bandi is correct, it depends on the operating system or sometime depend on the application itself.

By default, in Windows, IPv6 is preferred over IPv4. And you may change the behavior by modifying prefixpolicies or registry.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: