Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Multicast support for service providers 6PE / 6VPE

clarkja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone comment on the current state of development for IPv6 Multicast support for Service Providers who are using 6PE or 6VPE in their MPLS core.

(6PE - SP is running MPLS in its IPv4 core, it uses IPv6-enabled provider edge (PE) routers to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4-only enabled core. 6PE does not support VPN,s it just provides a mechanism for tunneling IPv6 packets from ingress PE to egress PE routers)

(6VPE - refers to a PE router capable of supporting IPv6 VPNs. A 6VPE solution can be used to provide IPv6 based layer 3 VPN services in a similar way to IPv4 based Layer 3 VPN services.)

My understanding is that 6PE and 6VPE solution are unable to support IPv6 multicast traffic.

Any further information on configuration, design or development work in the pipeline would be gratefully received,

kind regards John

2 Replies 2

Ruchir Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

From our question I understand you are sking about the MVPN support for IPv6 multicast. It is actually supported on the XR platform as of now. Please refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/xr12000/software/xr12k_r4.0/multicast/configuration/guide/mc40mcst.html#wp2890031

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ruchir

hi ,what a bout 7206VXR and  7606-S with RSP720   ARE THEY support MVPN for IPv6?