cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 NAT64 google DNS64 configuration

Brandon Baker
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any experience setting up NAT64 using Google DNS64?

I have just started using IPv6 and am unable to access IPV4 network over this obviously. But I am having issues configuring NAT64, I m wanting to use stateful (unless I am unable to do so) to preserve IPv4 addresses and use Googles DNS64 PREFIX 64:ff9b::/96.

I have nat64 enabled on the interface that goes to the internet and on the interface to the clients.

The connection to the internet is dual stacked. I cannot find a clear answer on how to configure this in a cisco ASR. When I try using nat64 prefix stateful 64:ff9b::/96 i get the following %NAT64: Cannot use the well-known prefix 64:FF9B::/96 for a stateful prefix

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For stateless NAT64, the "well known" prefix is used on the internal IPv6 network to assemble synthetic IPv6 addresses to reach IPv4 hosts. You would never use that prefix in a configuration, that's why it is "well known."

Why do you want to use stateful NAT64? The only reason for that it to make your IPv6-only hosts reachable from an IPv6 network. In that case, you would need to declare an IPv6 prefix (that ou control) as the prefix for INCOMING connections.

This white paper may be useful: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/enterprise-ipv6-solution/white_paper_c11-676278.html

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?