cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPFv3 cost of the loopback is not added to the metric.

Salah_IT_Nerd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble understanding how OSPFv6 calculates costs in IPv6.

Attached are screenshots of some show commands on both routers.

My question is: why OSPF is not adding the cost of the interface loopback to the metric.

Thank you!

Router1.png

Router2.png

Topology.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

it is not IOS fault; it is IPv6 OPSF behavior; it is Host route vs Stub network (default) , see RFC 5340

1st, change /128 to something else (or add new IPv6 address) then make network point -to- point to see difference in metric.  I believe those 2 changes must be under loopback to see new metric;

Even with ipv6 ospf network point-to-point, metric is not taken into consideration if your prefix length is /128

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Salah_IT_Nerd,

Could you please more elaborate with a rapid topology as example.

To be sure, if you modify the cost of an OSPF interface, that only affects the metric of routes 'going out' that specific interface.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt37

I've added a screenshot of the topology which simply consist of 2 routers connected via Gigabit Ethernet link.

I did not change the cost on any interface, I've modified the reference bandwidth to 10000 Mbps.

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

It should add...that's how ospf/ospfv3 works...

it should add...2001:DB8:1::1/128[110/11]; It should display as cost 11.

I think...it is the limitation of the gns3....we can't expect 100%....it might be a bug gns3/ios image...

Sure...with real devices will be added...

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Hi Gopinah_Pigili

I've tried the configuration on Cisco IOSv 15.9(3)M6 and Cisco 3725 124-15.T14, both gave the same result.

I have some Cisco 2911 and Cisco ISR4331 routers at home, I will try that and see.

I tried....in gns3... ospf (ipv4) it is adding loopback cost...with ospfv3 (ipv6) it is not adding...

Probably when you do it on your real router...yes...will get it...

Thanks

Hi Gopinath_Pigili

There's no difference between GNS3 and real equipment in this scenario, one of the members proposed a solution that worked which consist of changing the network type on loopback interface into point-to-point.

ok...Nice to here that....

Thanks

Redistrubte connect subet 

This will add metric of LO to total metric.

Hi MHM Cisco World,

Why do I have to redistribute the connected subnets since I've already enabled IPv6 OSPF on the loopback interface using the command: IPv6 ospf 1 area 0?

@Salah_IT_Nerd,

You configure "ospf" command under interfaces to have an OSPF neighborship and start exchange LSA on a "shared-link".

Here, you want to have this loopback redistributed in your OSPF in order to be announce into this AREA... Then @MHM Cisco World  propose you to redistribute this loopback.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

I've used the command: (ipv6 ospf 1 area 0) on both GigabitEthernet 0/0 and Loopback 0, if I didn't use the command on the loopback subcommand the show ipv6 route would not list any route to the loopback.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

it is not IOS fault; it is IPv6 OPSF behavior; it is Host route vs Stub network (default) , see RFC 5340

1st, change /128 to something else (or add new IPv6 address) then make network point -to- point to see difference in metric.  I believe those 2 changes must be under loopback to see new metric;

Even with ipv6 ospf network point-to-point, metric is not taken into consideration if your prefix length is /128

Regards, ML

Hi Martin L,

Thank you so much for the clarification.

I have issued this command on L0 on both routers:

Router1#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router1(config)#interface loopback 0
Router1(config-if)#ipv6 ospf network point-to-point
Router1(config-if)#end
Router1#

Then, I checked the ipv6 route ospf on Router 2 and noticed that the metric has changed from 10 to 11.

This is without changing the prefix length, it's still /128, however, the show ipv6 route ospf on Router 1 indicates that it's /64.

Now, I'm still being a nerd, why does OSPFv3 behave that way which is not the case with IPv4?

R2.png

R1.png

I don't have "why" in my notes; only RFC listed as reference;  I will check my sources later and will let u know if there is clear answer;

Note that Cisco implementation of OSFP does not have to follow RFC step by step; OSPF metric in RFC is not specified as bandwidth as Cisco does; RFC says just "metric" and "cost" which can be anything else.  So, this "issue" of loopbacks could be just Cisco "way" of doing things

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card