Views
Helpful
Replies

python client for AXL

jseynaev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I have a nice working toolset that is interacting very well with AXL interface using PHP.

However, we are looking to switch to python (it does look like this would be a lot easier to process data coming in). Unfortunately, i can't find any working example to connect to the AXL interface.

suds seems to be the way to go, but that's not working on python3. I'm happy doing this in python2, but still, i don't get suds to get the works done ... any working example is welcome! (i'll give you a working PHP example in return ;p )

Jan.

61 Replies 61

Stephen Welsh
Level 4
Level 4

Appreciate this will not be everyones 'cup of tea' because it involves a middle-tier component, however we (UnifiedFX) have just published a Python SDK for AutomationFX that exposes multiple CUCM API's (JTAPI, AXL, RISPort) via a single uniform REST API. Some background on AutomationFX can be found here:

GitHub - unifiedfx/awesome-automationfx: A curated list of AutomationFX resources for Developers

Note: The AutomationFX REST API is still in preview stage (i.e. the REST resource models are subject to change at this point) however it is fully functional

One of the many key advantages to using a middle-tier component is the ability to securely expose CUCM API's to cloud services. From a high level perspective it is like providing the Cisco Spark SDK to all existing on-premis CUCM systems in one simple step.

Kind Regards

Stephen Welsh

CTO

UnifiedFX

To anyone new visiting this thread, I would suggest forgetting about Python Suds (or suds-jurko). There are numerous issues and this library is not well maintained and several people have already mentioned compatibility issues when trying to use Python 3.x.

The library I can highly recommend is Python Zeep. It's very well maintained and I've had success using it for AXL, UC Serviceability API and PAWS. It's also an order of magnitude faster than Suds.

I even updated (admittedly rushed - excuse the formatting) an old post of mine to use Python 3.6 and Zeep (formerly was using Python 2.7 and suds-jurko):
http://chilli-net.blogspot.com/2016/04/getting-started-with-python-cucm-axl.html

The HistoryPlugin included with Zeep is also fantastic to see exactly what the SOAP envelope looks like and let you tweak the input to get the appropriate SOAP message.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: