cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC Manager (CUCM) XML API function get_file returns java.lang.NullPointerException

devon.winegar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In our analytics product, we use the CUCM XML API function CDRonDemandService.get_file to extract CDR and CMR records. This functions normally in most of our commercial deployments. However, we have encountered two CUCM deployments in which the invocation of the get_file function (using valid parameters provided from a successful call to CDRonDemandService.get_file_list) throws a java.lang.NullPointerException.

Here is the beginning of an example log trace:

java.rmi.RemoteException: java.lang.NullPointerException

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Vyopta.CucmRemoteManagement.CucmService.CDRonDemandService.get_file(String in0, String in1, String in2, String in3, String in4, Boolean in5) in...<application code invoking associated CUCM XML API>

Again, most production CUCM boxes we have interfaced with function appropriately and do not exhibit this behavior. However, for the few instances where this is an issue, we are unable to collect any CDR or CMR data, as this behavior occurs every time get_file is invoked (with different file parameters each time).

What circumstances would cause a UC Manager box to behave in such a manner? How can such an issue be resolved?

Thank you,

Devon Winegar

5 Replies 5

jocreed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please correct any of the following if I am misunderstanding what you are saying... But it seems like you are getting this error intermittently as it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't :-(.  And your application seems to mostly be able to excute this command on most production sites most of the time.  Does that sound correct so far?

My initial thought, unless you have more information to add, would be there is not enough information about the error to know one way or the other without having you go through the process of gathering full detailed trace logs and doing some serious troubleshooting.  To do that with DevSupport you we need to open a devnet support ticket.  After that we could do some real analysis on what is causing this problem.

It could be a service was not functioning correctly or was being restarted or stopped when it was happening.  Maybe it was cause by network error or information not being stored correctly on CUCM.  Might be a known bug depending on which version of CUCM is being used on the machines that are experiencing this problem.  Might be a malformed request due to mismatched version of the WSDL and CUCM or some other factors.  On some of what I am saying I might expect to see a different error, but a null pointer exception is really not enough information to go off of.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank You,

Jock

Unfortunately, this error is not intermittent in nature. There are two CUCM deployments in which EVERY get_file() call throws a java.lang.NullPointerException. However, when compared to the several dozen successful deployments where this isn't an issue, it seems that this might be a hardware or version specific bug to CUCM.

How do we go about creating a devnet support ticket?

Thanks,

Devon

Here is the link: Cisco DevNet Support

Which company are you with?  Is your company registered on Devnet already?

Thank You,

Jock

I'm with Vyopta, a Preferred Cisco Partner. I'm not aware if we are registered on Devnet or not.

If it is Vyopta Inc that is based out of Austin then I do see that you are on Devnet but you currently do not have any tickets.registered to your company.  the other thing is it looks like you specifically do not have support access but other's in your company do, so you might have to find out who can purchase tickets for your company.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: