cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 vs. Metro 3750

cweinhold
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know if a regular Catalyst 3750 (WS-C3750G-24TS-S) can be turned into a Metro 3750 (ME-C3750-24TE-MA) simply by changing the code?

The switches look the same and are priced the same. I believe it should work, but figured it was safest to ask before trying it.

6 Replies 6

jlindstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Not possible. The switches may look the same from far, but the hardware is different. The cat3750me has a "daughter card" integrated to it's motherboard for handling the mpls etc functionality. The cat3750 has 4 x SFP slots out of which 2 are so called ES-ports that have mpls support, you can't find those in regular cat 3750. I got 2 of those new Cat 3750me's at my desk..

Just my 2c

- Juha Lindström

Thanks for the quick response. Guess that I won't try upgrading software...

Since you have two, have you had success with EoMPLS on them? Have you heard if they will eventually support VPLS?

Hi,

3750m does support VPLS (with Advanced IP Feature License)

I am finding it difficult to find a document which says 3750 metro switch supports VPLS. I couldn't find in the datasheet as well. Are you sure it supports?

current docs for metro 3750 shows EoMPLS. I haven't seen it for VPLS. I heard that metro 3750 will support VPLS sometime this year.

P2P VPLS is equivalent to EoMPLS. So it is possible they to support it. Anyway, I don't find any reasons to use that exact feature