Views
Helpful
Replies

L2VPN/VPLS Packet loss and instability

rex_chan_2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gents,

Any suggestion for a structured approach to troubleshoot L2VPN/VPLS Packet loss or instability issue? 

Regards,

CYS

3 Replies 3

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

The best way is to isolate the problem to common points. i.e. CE1 to PE1 or PE to PE or PEn to CEn.

You can start by making the PE as a L3 interface and do ping test between PE and CE to see if there is any packet loss. Similarly, try performing MPLS ping between PE to ensure the LSP is complete. 

One other thing is important to ensure that the configuration is supported on the device that you are running. Its good to ensure that the CE and Core facing linecards support the necessary configurations.

Hope this helps.

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Vinit,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The ping test between CE-PE (2 locations) and PE-PE are clean. Once normalized and the customer conducted throughput test, they still found 0.1% loss. Any idea or way to further identify the problem. The topology is simple CE<=>PE<=>P<=>P<=>PE<=>CE in 2 different geo locations.

Regards,

CYS.

I would like to know how do you perform the ping test. If you are performing the ping test, use the below method:

- ping <dest> souruce <src> size <mtu> df-bit repeat 1000

Check if you see the drops. As you know the default ping packet size is 100 bytes. Also, please perform the mpls ping and pseudowire ping.

Secondly, if all the path comes out clean, then the troubleshooting has to be focused on the platform. I would like to know what router series and linecard are you using on the CE facing and Core facing.

Thanks

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit