cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro Ethernet implementation questions

Andrew Schulz
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning a Metro Ethernet upgrade for a network I manage. This is the first time I’ve implemented Metro on any network. I’m looking for some suggestions and answers to a couple questions regarding this upgrade.

The current network is Hub and spoke connected by copper lines to 17 different locations from a DS3 @ our HQ. HQ also has a DS3 to the internet which the branch locations go out for internet. At our branches we have a private and public network on different subnets. Each branch location has either a T1 or bonded T1 connected to a Cisco 2801 router then to Netgear PoE managed switch(s).

The upgrade of the DS3 for internet is going to 100 meg. The data side will also be 100meg at HQ, 10meg to our small locations and 100meg to the large.

My question is what do I need to be aware of on our existing network that must change to get this working?

1)      Will I simply go from the layer2 Metro Switch to our router?

2)      Should I remove the router and go directly to the Netgear switch?

3)      Do I need to VLAN the private and public networks?

4)      Do I need to change routing tables?

Thoughts and/or suggestions welcome.

Let me know if more information is required to assist in answers.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

yashfaqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think it would be better to include Cisco Account Manager/SE for this upgrade, they can guide you better and can come up with LLD for this upgrade, otherwise upgrading your 17 sites without proper planning can cause you serious issues.

Yasir

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hi mate,

Although my XP is not that Big, I will give it a try; can you post a sketch of what you have as we speak.