Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS and dot1q tunnels

Hi there,

I have the following situation with dot1q tagged traffic accross an MPLS network:

Customer trunk with different vlans(CE)----->dot1q-tunnelport with access vlan 83(PE)--->trunk with vlan 83 and some other(on same PE)---->Trunk interface with vlan 83 and some other(on MPLS router)---->SVI VLAN 83 with no ip address and xconnect to other side of the pseudowire.

Is it possible to get the customers vlan's to the other side? It does not work ( I use a ME 6524 as MPLS router) but maybe that is due to the use of dot1q-tunnel and after that a trunk to transport it further. The trunk puts an extra VLAN on the frames but that should work I think. Every mtu size on every router in the path has been increased, also the MPLS mtu size. The VC's are up, that is no problem.

Any idea?

When I change the trunk on the PE to a dot1q tunnel port with access vlan 83 and the interface on the MPLS router to a Portbase pseudowire it works fine.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gert-Jan van der Lee

2 Replies 2

Hi Gert,

well if you want to use q-in-q etc to isolate customer vlans etc then the port on the PE has to be a dotq-tunnel port.

A dot1tunnel port is always an access port and not a trunk port.

In regards to the PW , the VC types should match at both ends. If you are using  vlan based(vc type 4) on one end and vc type 5(port based) on other end. the PW doesnt come up and hence you use something called "interworking" to match them up.

Does this help at all?

HTH

Kishore

Hi Kishore,

Thank you for your answer.

Somehow I got it work some time later. I changed this:

OLD: Trunk interface with vlan 83 and some other(on MPLS router)---->SVI VLAN 83 with no ip address and xconnect to other side of the pseudowire.

NEW: Trunk interface with "vlan none" and a doq1q subinterface of that trunk interface with the xconnect. That works, also with double tagged vlan's.

Somehow, the SVI vlan would need to have worked according to the documentation.

Regards,

Gert-Jan van der Lee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: